Painting steel wheels

I repainted the wheel covers so they look decent but you can see through the spokes and see the chalky wheels behind them. After cleaning them, what should I paint them with for an original satin finish? I have some SEM Trim paint but see a few areas of surface rust, so maybe Rustolium instead?

IMG_1360.JPG

X2 @Trav. That’s what I would do. + I’d finish with a clear wheel paint like VHT or duplicolor, and let it cure 7 days before putting the cover back on.

Washed the wheels with Meguiers Super Degreaser and a stiff brush 3 times. Wiped it with paint prep. Sprayed a coat of Rustoleum flat black followed by two coats of SEM satin trim paint. Sprayed outside and brought it back inside between coats as it was 45F out. They look good but the house will smell like a meth lab for a few days.

IMG_1365.JPG

I did this quick and dirty way last late spring/summer.
Removed old winter tires, removed valves, wire wheel on a drill to remove rust and to smooth them out (outside only) please wear protective glasses, dry wiped followed by compressed air and 'spray cleaned' with brake cleaner (I think), spay painted with Tremclad Rust Paint (3 coats) into matte black. So far so good.

Back