Painting sights?

Has anybody painted their rifle sights? I have a 16" barrel hunting setup which I'd like to get a little more "pop" out of the front blade sight in all conditions (sun, rain, overcast, snowy, etc). Looking at color options. Right now I'm leaning towards white is it seems the simplist but is something like neon orange or neon green particularly better?

Yes it is a good thing to try and see if it improves the front site pick up.

Being in Michigan would white disappear with snow and bright conditions?

That is one thing I am concerned about as well. It definitely does when I pass it across a white painted door inside with ~2700k LED light bulbs. Having a hard time getting a good neon orange color, even painting over a white base coat, though. Luckily I have a spare chinesium sight to practice on!

The problem with most of the neon colors is that while they are easy to pickup they tend to make a blurry sight picture. On a pistol where you just need a fast sight picture they work ok but no one shooting target seriously uses them. You just never get the same hard line definition on the corners. If your painting the dot on the front of a lever gun with buckhorn sights for hunting in the woods pick the lightest color that your eye is sensitive too. Check out the nail polish isle and see what color jumps out at you. Everyones eye sensitivity is different. If your looking through peep sights go 2 shades lighter than you think is right. If its a straight up low light problem only white or a fiber optic will help, every color will start looking black as the light fades, its the way our eye work. There are 20x more rods in your eye than cones. Rods are sensitive to black and white light and cones detect color so when light fades No more colors and white is your friend.

For my 50-something year old eyes neon orange seems to work better than anything else. Neon yellow is probably equally effective and will work a little better in low lighting IMO.

Did the front sight on my SD40VE with Testors fluorescent model paint. Definitely helps my eyes pick it up a lot quicker than the standard three white dots.
139E09FD-25DD-4F18-884C-46BFDD21C269.jpeg

L8R,
Matt

Nothing wrong with a dot of paint on a sight, can always make it go away if needed. A few guns come with usually red on the front, then you have the ‘tru-glow’ sights. When it comes to ‘Bubba-ing’ your gun, a dab of nail polish is very minor.

Back