Painting plastic fender on Honda Insight

Has anyone found paint you can spray at home that actually works?

Many folks on the Insight forum use a form of rustoleum because it holds up OK and is an exact match.

In my case humidity is never below 60% and said paint needs it dry and it fades away in 2-4 years

Car is valueless and professional paint costs more than the car, just would like the fender to be reddish instead of silver, prefer not to respray it every year also.

Attachments

• 23A0E755-06E0-4CA6-B469-EF029ECF9074.jpeg
    23A0E755-06E0-4CA6-B469-EF029ECF9074.jpeg
    121.3 KB · Views: 17
Has anyone found paint you can spray at home that actually works?

Many folks on the Insight forum use a form of rustoleum because it holds up OK and is an exact match.

In my case humidity is never below 60% and said paint needs it dry and it fades away in 2-4 years

Car is valueless and professional paint costs more than the car, just would like the fender to be reddish instead of silver, prefer not to respray it every year also.
Do you have anything to spray with? I.E. gun and air compressor? Or is this a rattle can job?

I’ve seen that mentioned before, how much sanding and prep is needed up front before you apply?

Also curious where I buy that stuff?

Spray on Rustoleum is everywhere, in a bucket ????

Also humidity levels around here likely interfere with it drying,
so do you live in a humid area (60%+)

I didn't do any sanding, and just pulled the trim for prep.

Adding mineral spirits to regular rustoleum does something that makes it way harder than their spray-on version. But you have to roll it on.

The right way to paint automotive plastics(SMC, ABS, polyolefin, polyethylene, urethane) involves adhesion promoters and flexible plastics primer as well as flex agent for the clearcoat. If Honda used the same Xenoy plastic as the deck of their higher end lawnmowers - also similar to what Saturns used, it’s also tricky to paint, as some solvents will destroy it.

Now, Rust-Oleum offers their universal paint for plastics and metals: https://www.rustoleum.com/pages/find-a-product/results/?x={413B8919-230C-4979-BA16-F01C50DEDAFF}&t=universal&a=cbg&category=consumer-brands&value=universal

The Sherwin-Williams brands(Krylon, Dupli-Color and VHT) also have automotive spray paint for plastics. SEM also makes a plastics paint too.

Back