Painting iron vs aluminum

Hi, I am making some brackets for a lightbar. i'm looking at aluminum versus angle iron. I would like to paint them black. Unsure about drilling ease as well as the ability to paint the material without having to do touchups. I've worked with aluminum before, very easy to drill, however I have never painted it. I have Been told that getting paint the stick is tough. Angle iron on the other hand, never worked with it but I presume it is probably tough to drill, unsure about how paint holds up on it long-term. it needs to be able to withstand the outside elements. Any feedback is appreciated, thank you

I’ve done both. Drill at a slow rpm to reduce temps and use a light oil like machine oil as a cutting agent; your bits will thank you. I’ve made AL roof racks before and with primer and decent paint such as duplicolor or VHT, with a good clear coat (their clear coat for wheels is very strong), it can hold up a long time. Etching primer as stated above is good, as well as roughing and cleaning the metal prior to spraying.

id use the metal that is shaped better for the application, personally. Al is softer and needs to be a little chunkier. Neither will hold paint real well if it gets dragged across the ground while installing.

wear goggles while cutting either!

I'm painting an aluminum gear shifter. I've sanded it down. I have a can of Rustoleum 2x Ultra-cover paint+primer. It claims to work on all metals. First ingredient is Acetone. I plan to do many very light coats. How well should this hold up on aluminum?

Back