Painted brake rotors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening BITOG faithful
smile.gif

So, I ordered rear rotors and pads for the camry of mine. Question I have and pardon my ignorance here but should I clean that grayish paint off the rotor or does it aid in bedding in the pads and rotors?

Thank for advice and info in advance
smile.gif

Happy Friday also

The pads will wipe the coating off but expect a longer pad bed-in or use an aggressive bed-in technique. You want the brake pads to remove the coating so the brake pad material can be properly bedded into the rotor.

Yep the pad will wipe it off during the break in. Usually the zinc ones take a bit longer to feel solid, but the painted should be ok within a few miles. I like to wipe the oil coating off of them though, that I feel usually shortens the break in time.

You said "paint". I'm not aware of ANY rotors that have paint on the braking surface. Some have temporary anti-rust coatings that need to be scrubbed off. Some have zinc coatings and are ready to go, but might have residual oil that is best scrubbed off. Then there are polymer coatings that are expected to wear off with pad engagement.

You didn't give us the brand/model so discussion is kind of pointless until you do.

The one thing I can say is, "depends". You should follow the instructions that come with the rotor.

Run them through the dishwasher (when the wife's not home) and slap them on. FWIW I don't bother with any break in procedure for pads as they seem to break in on their own after a couple hundred miles at the most.

Originally Posted By: car51
This is what I understand
smile.gif

For those rotors, you only need to clean the part that's not black, which is the part where the pads sweep the rotors.

The black paint is on the non-swept areas, like the hat and vanes. This you do not remove. It is there to stop the disc from rusting overnight, and so that you'll actually be able to take off teh wheels in the future
smile.gif

smile.gif

So, I ordered rear rotors and pads for the camry of mine. Question I have and pardon my ignorance here but should I clean that grayish paint off the rotor or does it aid in bedding in the pads and rotors?

smile.gif

Happy Friday also

I know others have already answered this and you've got your answer.. But I thought I'd tell you my experience with this type of coating. I have the Bosch Quietcast with this exact rust preventative paint, it does wear off after like 50 braking miles or around there. It comes off quite quickly but what's awesome about it is it protects against rust on the parts the pads doesn't touch. It doesn't stop rust completely but it sure slowed it down at about 85-90%! When I finally was done with the pads and pulled the rotors it was 3.5years later! And at that point they just started getting a little rusty! Cool, isnt it?!
thumbsup2.gif

so definitely enjoy them, I'm glad to see others copying Bosch, unless someone was first before them, it was the first one I knew about using this stuff back in 12.

01.gif

Originally Posted By: researcher
smile.gif

smile.gif

Happy Friday also

I know others have already answered this and you've got your answer.. But I thought I'd tell you my experience with this type of coating. I have the Bosch Quietcast with this exact rust preventative paint, it does wear off after like 50 braking miles or around there. It comes off quite quickly but what's awesome about it is it protects against rust on the parts the pads doesn't touch. It doesn't stop rust completely but it sure slowed it down at about 85-90%! When I finally was done with the pads and pulled the rotors it was 3.5years later! And at that point they just started getting a little rusty! Cool, isnt it?!
thumbsup2.gif

so definitely enjoy them, I'm glad to see others copying Bosch, unless someone was first before them, it was the first one I knew about using this stuff back in 12.

01.gif

Thanks for the info Researcher
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back