Paint pen for engine parts?

JHZR2

Staff member
On a few of my old diesel engines, some parts have paint marks. Either from manufacturing, or other services like valve adjustments.

I’m going to do a job where a key gear that affects fuel timing is going to come loose. I’d like to mark it in a few spots to limit the chance of messing up timing. All the parts are oily, and I can wipe them down with brake cleaner. But I’d like something reasonably precise and permanent.

I don’t think this is rocket science but I also don’t know what works best for marking stuff inside an engine.

07DA12FE-43DB-47E4-9FD3-CC8ADF7F1A82.jpeg

Go to a welding supply shop and get some welder marking paint. It comes in a tube with a ball applicator. I imagine the part needs to be clean before application. I used to use it to mark outdoor surfaces while surveying. It stayed in place and weathered great.

How clean is clean?

Note the pic I posted above. There was paint on that part. I’d suspect it was oily.

My prep would likely be brake parts cleaner on a rag. Don’t need perfection. Just need it to stick.

The part was clean/oil free when paint was applied. I find Mineral Spirits applied with high pressure air to be best at removing oil from the pores of Steel, Cast Iron, & Cast Aluminum.

Brake Clean will work well enough for what you're doing though.

The part was clean/oil free when paint was applied. I find Mineral Spirits applied with high pressure air to be best at removing oil from the pores of Steel, Cast Iron, & Cast Aluminum.

Brake Clean will work well enough for what you're doing though.
I thought most parts come somewhat oil coated to prevent surface flash rust.

I like the mineral spirits idea but I can’t spray it into the engine. That or brake cleaner on a rag it is.

Thanks!

I used to use White Out on stuff like that. brake cleaner and or starting fluid work pretty darn good for getting rid of oily residue. ... just dont smoke if you use ether. :)

I just bought a Sharpie branded paint pen at Walmart for less than $3 the other day. It may not be the "best" one out there but the price is right and I'm pretty happy with the results.

Back