Packaging Torco 20w-50 Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought some 20w-50 Torco Synthetic Racing Oil to have it tested. On the front of the bottle it has a little neat looking icon that say Genuin-Certified GroupIV-V 100%Synthetic. They also talk on the back of the bottle about these same base oils. Thought it was kinda cool. Any opinions?
confused.gif

Wow, informing the customer? I haven't figured out why oil companies don't advertise the fact that they put moly in their oil. What is the purpose of being secretive to the consumer?
confused.gif

Unfortunately it was $10.95 per quart at a motorcycle shop in Santa Clara, CA, but this moto shop has just about every motorcycle lube manufactures product in their store. Torco does talk about their moly, phosphorous,zinc(MPZ) addative package on the back of the bottle also. Yeah, I thought it was great informing the consumer on what they are using. mikeyoilnutt

quote:

Originally posted by Chris:
Wow, informing the customer? I haven't figured out why oil companies don't advertise the fact that they put moly in their oil. What is the purpose of being secretive to the consumer?
confused.gif

Two things and both are my opinion only.

1.They think we are too stupid to understand

2. There are no real secrets in the lube world. If Mobil wants to know the make up of Synergyn's oils for example,they certainly have the means to do so.Vice versa although I doubt Synergyn much cares how Mobil makes their oil
wink.gif

3. My opinion is there is a bunch of skullduggery for lack of a better term in the lube world. I could use a couple of syn blends that aren't blends at all,well they are,a group II and a III. And another little marketing trick that was allowed,but allowed or ruled on by the wrong bunch.
thumbsdown.gif

Chris, My guess is that oil companies can't trademark the ingredients unless they name them themselves. So if they were spend lot's advertising PAO for instance, they are helping every oil company that uses PAO and all wannabe synthetic lube suppliers. If on the otherhand they advertise SuperSyn or Syntec, to name a couple then there's a name only they can use. Just basic marketing really but very expensive to get the name recognition. Now TORCO probably doesn't have the marketing budget of Mobil or Castrol so is left to market to those that understand the ingredients. That's my guess anyway for what it's worth.

[ January 04, 2003, 09:50 PM: Message edited by: Giles ]

Hey mike another interesting oil to look at for the Harley...unfortunately I can't get the Torco stuf anywhere close to here....and at $10.50 it's too expensive anyway..
quote:

Originally posted by mikeyoilnutt:
Bought some 20w-50 Torco Synthetic Racing Oil to have it tested. On the front of the bottle it has a little neat looking icon that say Genuin-Certified GroupIV-V 100%Synthetic. They also talk on the back of the bottle about these same base oils. Thought it was kinda cool. Any opinions?
confused.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back