P245/70R16 or P265/70R16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two possible sizes for my truck. Stock was the smaller, Bridgestone Dueler 689. First replacement I went with the option larger size, BFG radial long trail TA. Makes the speedo 2-4mph slow compared to gps seems like. I do not like either of these tires.

For my next set, I want something quiet, long wearing, not to pricey, excellent dry and rain performance (no snow), on-road, and quiet! I'm not too concerned about which size. Is there much advantage to the larger if it throws off my speedometer? If it saves me $50 ill go with the smaller size, if the price difference isnt much I could be convinced on the bigger tires.

The LTX MS/2 are probably too $$$. The truck doesn't see a ton of miles so the tires dry rot before wearing out. I was thinking something like Alenzas, Destination LE2, maybe something cooper? I definitely want a highway or SUV type tire.

Last edited:
The 689's are terrible. I'd go the LTX ms2 or destination LE2 in the smaller size if it were me. The LTX MS2 last forever, not sure if that's a factor but if you're in it for the long haul the don't really cost more since they last so long.

I had stock Destination LE2's as the last set of tires on my last truck, they worked fine when I lived in SE Louisiana in wet & dry conditions. Then we moved to Ohio, and they did OK in 4WD with the snow & ice too. I put 30k miles on them when I sold that truck early this year and there was still plenty of tread left on them (rated for 60k miles).

I've been thru the yrs by and large a Michelin guy but recently put a set of General HTS 245/70/r17's on my 06 Silverado. Just didn't want to spend a $1000 on a set. Have been so far very pleased. They balanced out well, handle and ride excellent and are a very quiet highway tire. These were $138 per tire with a $70 rebate from General tire. Just checked Walmart's website and a 245/70/r16 HTS Generals are $109 ea. Think they're a 60,000 mi tire.

I just put on a new set of dueler Ecopia tires and they're very quiet and ride well. I would suggest going with the original (smaller) tire size. I assume the vehicle is better tailored to that size, and the lighter smaller tire reduces unsprung weight.

I got the Ecopias for the gas mileage, but I was very close to getting the Destination LE2s that are rated well on tirerack too.

Originally Posted By: Pops1050
I've been thru the yrs by and large a Michelin guy but recently put a set of General HTS 245/70/r17's on my 06 Silverado. Just didn't want to spend a $1000 on a set. Have been so far very pleased. They balanced out well, handle and ride excellent and are a very quiet highway tire. These were $138 per tire with a $70 rebate from General tire. Just checked Walmart's website and a 245/70/r16 HTS Generals are $109 ea. Think they're a 60,000 mi tire.

General Grabber HTS I meant to say.

you will be hard pressed to find a better hwy all/season tire than the Destination LE2. Especially in that price range. I have a set with 25,000 miles on them, including heavy towing, and they drive great dry and wet, are silent, and seem to be wearing well. I'm about 1/2way through their usable tread, which works for me considering the tow duty they see. Sometimes they do feel a little soft when towing, but I'm approaching the max rating of the truck anyway--- without the load they are very nicely suited. They don't do wet grass and mud well at all, but they aren't designed for that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bepperb
The LTX MS2 last forever...

Not for everyone...
21.gif

I'll never buy a second set of them.

Fortunately Im just planning ahead a bit, or in case I have a blowout Ill likely replace all 4 due to age. Current tires 3.5 yrs/9k miles, long trail TA (many nissans have as stock I think). Obviously I dont drive truck a ton.

03 base tundra

Would like more input on any advantage or disadvantage to the larger or smaller tire.

Cooper Discoverer SRX vs Firestone Destination LE2?

Or is there a general grabber that could work better?

I think Im going with 245/70R16 to keep the speedo accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back