P245/70R16 or P265/70R16

Two possible sizes for my truck. Stock was the smaller, Bridgestone Dueler 689. First replacement I went with the option larger size, BFG radial long trail TA. Makes the speedo 2-4mph slow compared to gps seems like. I do not like either of these tires. For my next set, I want something quiet, long wearing, not to pricey, excellent dry and rain performance (no snow), on-road, and quiet! I'm not too concerned about which size. Is there much advantage to the larger if it throws off my speedometer? If it saves me $50 ill go with the smaller size, if the price difference isnt much I could be convinced on the bigger tires. The LTX MS/2 are probably too $$$. The truck doesn't see a ton of miles so the tires dry rot before wearing out. I was thinking something like Alenzas, Destination LE2, maybe something cooper? I definitely want a highway or SUV type tire.

Last edited:
I hear good about Alenza Plus's And Costco is doing $70 off Bridgestone That or the MS/2 is really what's gonna meet your criteria short of cheap.

The 689's are terrible. I'd go the LTX ms2 or destination LE2 in the smaller size if it were me. The LTX MS2 last forever, not sure if that's a factor but if you're in it for the long haul the don't really cost more since they last so long.

I had stock Destination LE2's as the last set of tires on my last truck, they worked fine when I lived in SE Louisiana in wet & dry conditions. Then we moved to Ohio, and they did OK in 4WD with the snow & ice too. I put 30k miles on them when I sold that truck early this year and there was still plenty of tread left on them (rated for 60k miles).

I've been thru the yrs by and large a Michelin guy but recently put a set of General HTS 245/70/r17's on my 06 Silverado. Just didn't want to spend a $1000 on a set. Have been so far very pleased. They balanced out well, handle and ride excellent and are a very quiet highway tire. These were $138 per tire with a $70 rebate from General tire. Just checked Walmart's website and a 245/70/r16 HTS Generals are $109 ea. Think they're a 60,000 mi tire.

I just put on a new set of dueler Ecopia tires and they're very quiet and ride well. I would suggest going with the original (smaller) tire size. I assume the vehicle is better tailored to that size, and the lighter smaller tire reduces unsprung weight. I got the Ecopias for the gas mileage, but I was very close to getting the Destination LE2s that are rated well on tirerack too.

Originally Posted By: Pops1050
I've been thru the yrs by and large a Michelin guy but recently put a set of General HTS 245/70/r17's on my 06 Silverado. Just didn't want to spend a $1000 on a set. Have been so far very pleased. They balanced out well, handle and ride excellent and are a very quiet highway tire. These were $138 per tire with a $70 rebate from General tire. Just checked Walmart's website and a 245/70/r16 HTS Generals are $109 ea. Think they're a 60,000 mi tire.
General Grabber HTS I meant to say.

you will be hard pressed to find a better hwy all/season tire than the Destination LE2. Especially in that price range. I have a set with 25,000 miles on them, including heavy towing, and they drive great dry and wet, are silent, and seem to be wearing well. I'm about 1/2way through their usable tread, which works for me considering the tow duty they see. Sometimes they do feel a little soft when towing, but I'm approaching the max rating of the truck anyway--- without the load they are very nicely suited. They don't do wet grass and mud well at all, but they aren't designed for that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bepperb
The LTX MS2 last forever...
Not for everyone... shrug I'll never buy a second set of them.

FL-400S

Fortunately Im just planning ahead a bit, or in case I have a blowout Ill likely replace all 4 due to age. Current tires 3.5 yrs/9k miles, long trail TA (many nissans have as stock I think). Obviously I dont drive truck a ton. 03 base tundra Would like more input on any advantage or disadvantage to the larger or smaller tire.

FL-400S

Cooper Discoverer SRX vs Firestone Destination LE2? Or is there a general grabber that could work better? I think Im going with 245/70R16 to keep the speedo accurate.