P1406

Status
Not open for further replies.
P1406 EGR pintle position

I'm battling a P1406 in my Pontiac for about 1.5 month now. At first the SES came on once or twice and went off it self after a few restarts. Within the next couple weeks it appeared to happen more often. I removed the EGR and cleaned it, it didn't appear too dirty for ~190k miles. It seemed to work because I didn't trip that code for another 2.5 weeks.

Anyone have any insight, the EGR sensor is ~$170 Durlast. I quoted a GM and it was over $300. I see some Delphi/AC Delco on eBay for ~$100 but I'm a little learly for this kind of thing.

Its most likely on it way out. 190,000 is a long life. You could just drive it until it starts giving you drivability problems. It will run like [censored] if it gets hung open at idle. Spendy but easy to change out on that one.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
I don't know your particular vehicle but have you cleaned the EGR passages in addition to the cleaning of the valve itself?

The tube to the manifold is relatively new and rest has been touched other than me cleaning the EGR valve it self.

Originally Posted By: willix
Its most likely on it way out. 190,000 is a long life. You could just drive it until it starts giving you drivability problems. It will run like [censored] if it gets hung open at idle. Spendy but easy to change out on that one.

I can't complain about 190k, I'd rather get this addressed now before it's time for a OBD2 inspection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back