P0401, P2106, P0320, Ugh...

2004, Stock Ford Explorer, 4.0L SOHC, 140k miles.
I've done A LOT of work to this thing in the few years and 20k miles that I've owned it. It's like it has turned into a battle of the wills now. Who will persevere? Who will quit first? It just keeps finding new things to fail all of the time and I do my best to try to keep up and fix them.
Anyhow.
I was driving it about a week ago and it bucked once. I thought that I was maybe imaging it; no lights or codes. But then it happened a couple more times this week with the wrench light and service engine soon light coming on. (I just shook my head and thought "This thing is just an engineering marvel...).
I swung into O-R and they scanned it and gave me three codes(Not one, not two, but three): P0401 (Low EGR flow), P2106 (Throttle actuator control system), and P0320 (Ignition distributor speed).
Do I need to replace the EGR valve? I haven't done too much research on that one yet.
Regarding the throttle code; it sounds like 50/50 it may be the TPS? All of my wires and connections look real good. With Memorial Day sales, I can get a new Spectra Premium throttle body for about $140. Would that be wise? After watching a couple Ford Tech Makuloco, it looks like the TPS must have already been replaced, as it has the third generation TPS (which is supposed to be very good).
Regarding the last code, just buy a new crank position sensor?
Thanks everyone for all of the time invested in posting on here.
P.S. If someone just LOVES to work on vehicles, this would be the perfect vehicle for you to own. Contact me and I may be persuaded to sell it to you.

I would reset the codes and see what code is reappears, perhaps even cleaning up the battery terminals at the same time.. I always like to troubleshoot and verify a failure with a component versus replacing it and hoping for the best. Most common issue with P0401 is vacuum issues, blocked EGR passages. A problem with the EGR's positioning sensor can set a 0401. I would check those before replacing the valve. You can easily check the TPS with an ohm meter and check it for "dead spots". If the connections look good at the crank sensor, I would try a new crank sensor.

Last edited:
Back