P0302 code after OCI service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to all,

I just had my 96K service on my 01' Durango 4.7 liter engine using the new specified Pennzoil brand of oil. I also asked the dealership to use the "Platinum" version which is a synthetic. After driving home froma nice evening dinner my panel threw a trouble code (see above). Could this oil be too thin and some oil got past the rings and fouled the plug???

Durango

How old are the plugs? Inspect that one. Change ur plugs. Do a compression test when changing plugs. Swap coils between cylinders to see if the problem moves.

Correlation is not causality (they happened one after the other, but one did not cause the other...it was time for a coil or plug to go...)

Maybe they did something so you would have to bring it back in for service????

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
How old are the plugs? Inspect that one. Change ur plugs. Do a compression test when changing plugs. Swap coils between cylinders to see if the problem moves.

tomcat27,

I can't remember exactly but I'm pretty sure the plugs are only a couple years old using the factory specified Champions. It is odd to my cuz this code has come up before and gone away.

What I'm gonna do is tank the gal up and take it out on the highway to see if the computer program will turn off that pecky "engine check light". If not at least I tried and will take it in again in another month when I get a chance.

I must admit that about 4 years ago the engine went south and needed a mechanic badly and was out of service for two weeks. Since then sometimes this code pops up and goes away. In addition sometimes it doesn't fire up in the morning like it use to before the engine went south.

Anyway let me finish my morning coffee and take her out on the road. Any other flashes come to mind please let me know. I hate to admit that the old gal is starting to cost a bit of money out of my pocket. In reality I'd hate to give it up but this gal is killing me big time!

Durango

Which fuel system cleaner did you use this time? :)

Seriously, you need to understand more about cause and effect vs coincidence. Is this the same place which apparently did over $1000 worth of repair on your truck when you used "wrong" fuel system cleaner? If yes, then your problem is not with the truck but with the shop.

Vikas,

My old buddy...it's good to see your still around!:) Currently I'm going back to the dealership for future repairs now. I just had my 96K service when this oddity showed up once again. I know this problem has risen before in the past but since it was reset the issue never surfaced until now.

It'll be about three weeks before I can get it back to the dealership for any type of diagnosis but I'll call then tomorrow and tell them to put it in my electronic records. Lastly I'm not using any fuel cleaner this time!! Ha Ha:)

Anyway without using any dianostic equipment hooked up it seems to run and feel fine and no cylinder mis-firing at all. They all appear to be firring on all 8 cylinders. I hate to even speculate anything beyond this point now but I wonder if this was just another fluke???

Durango

Originally Posted By: dilberto88
I'm suspecting oil may be leaking thru the valve cover gaskets, resulting in a cylinder misfire, due to temporary oil fouling of the plug itself.

dilberto88,

I'm willing to admit to almost anything now a days! Ever since the engine needed big engine work it's been giving me allot of warning lights going off. Some like this one has come up before and has gone away mysteriously. When I get another chance I'll take it out on the freeway again to run the engine out and see if the "check engine light" resets itself other wise I'll just take it back to the dealership and get the motor hooked up for another scope/diagnostic.

Durango

Buy a cheap scanner, you're gonna need it. You can reset the CEL yourself with a scanner and see if it reappears. Could be as simple as a bad plug wire or connector.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back