P0100 code

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 97 nissan started running bad and the SES light came on, the local AZ says code P0100 means MAF or VAF circuit malfunction, said I needed a maf sensor that I have to get at dealer, checked and it's 439 dollars. While looking on-line for a used part(which don't seem to exist) I found a place that would rebuild mine if I send it to them at a price of 265 dollars,my question is has anyone ever heard of this? thanks for any input on this.
harvey

P0100 = Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Malfunction.

Have you touched or jostled the airfilter box or air intake hose recently? I'd check and reseat the MAF electrical connector first, then go from there.

Joel

I just had this code on a coworker's S-10, turned out to be a blocked catalytic converter. My point is that it isn't necessarily the MAF. I would clean the sensor, check all electrical connections, check for air and vacuum leaks, reset the code, and wait and see.

thanks for the input, I've spent the day looking for leaks and unplugging and re-plugging, along with the a good spray cleaner, no luck. I hadn't thought about the cat, might go there in the morning. thanks again.

We removed the cat entirely and went for a test drive. My neighbors are still gettin' used to me.
whistle.gif

Yep, before we figured out what it was we were looking at the rebuilt MAF's for around $100. Seems like a good deal. I wish I knew more about testing a MAF, if I ever have to really dig into one I'll learn more and try to test it systematically before spending the big money. Maybe one of the real techs on here can give you more details.

If you are running a K&N or some other brand of oiled air filter media then you'll want to look at the MAF. If so, brianl703's suggestion will probably do the trick.

I thought I had read somewhere that stock nissan air filters come oiled in some applications.

My mechanic, who is where I found out about this stuff, having seen it on his workbench, says that it has worked to fix many MAF problems that they've encountered. I don't think all of those MAF problems were caused by oiled air filters as few of his customers use them.

Don't just spray the bulb you see in the MAF, that's just a temperature varistor, shoot the spray up into the MAF body, the fine wires there are the actual sensor element.
....and NO q-tips! Ever.
doc

I just came back from test run after the cleaning, seem to be running normal, the air filter is the dry type, I went ahead and changed the air and fuel filter while I had everything out of the way, keep your fingers crossed for me. Thanks for all the comments and tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back