P/S Rack Rebuild

So cool, thanks for posting. I wish I had more time to actually rebuild than replace things, if parts are available of course. Sometimes, it's just not worth it though.

So cool, thanks for posting. I wish I had more time to actually rebuild than replace things, if parts are available of course. Sometimes, it's just not worth it though.
Agreed, not many rebuild kits around anymore. It would be more of a hobby type operation than practical anyway. Not many people have time for rebuilding, just swap and go.

Agreed, not many rebuild kits around anymore. It would be more of a hobby type operation than practical anyway. Not many people have time for rebuilding, just swap and go.
Gates makes seal kits for all of the applications I checked. Rockauto has them in stock.

I have rebuilt a few over the years, they are not especially difficult but there are a couple of things you need to watch out for, rust in the tube is an almost instant job killer unless you have access to a tube sleeve and the equipment to do it or you know someone who can.
The other is teflon seal installers and resizers (depending on the unit), there are companies that make them. They are similar to this..

cones.jpg

JAC Rack used to do some if they were a rare core, it is a 10 thou stainless sleeve like the redi-sleeves used to repair sealing surfaces on shafts or the sleeves they used to use in old aluminum Corvette brake calipers.
I have not done this job, I got this info from a conversation with the guy at JAC Rack. If you see this you have a problem, the Critic will probably never see this, check the rack boots often and replace them if damaged.

leaking-rack-and-pinion-steering.jpg

Agreed, I read a write-up on TacomaWorld i think it was for '95-04. The Cardones are junk.

Unfortunately it falls into that category of building more model engines or pursuing that super cool pop can crusher I want to build: add it to the list for when I'm retired LOL

In the case of the Tacos there were two designs, one clearly superior to the other. So in an ideal world you want to 1) make sure you've got the better design or NOW is the time to upgrade, even if that means getting a core of the superior design and rebuilding that and 2) making sure you get the appropriate rebuild kit for any design nuances or revisions

Curious as to what makes Cardone rebuilds junks? Is it because they just throw on new seals without thoroughly checking the cores (eg. damage on the sealing surfaces)? Unfortunately they've got most of the market cornered for rebuilds.

You can find new a new OEM Toyota rack for just a bit more than a reman from various online dealers.

I've resealed a subaru contol valve (well known leakers) but not the entire rack. I don't trust the aftermarket options for racks and the factory replacements are quite a bit of money. Factory seal kits are a bargain if you're willing to put in the work. I think doing the whole rack would require specialized tools that you would either have to make or purchase and each rack has slight differences (tooling). If you wanted to do this for several different types it would get complicated fast. Oh, and if your internals are junk new seals aren't going to help.

Back