P.C. to T.V. ( HDMI ) via router for internet use ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using a LINKSYS router .Computer dense
33.gif
. Thanks

Last edited:
Define "internet use". Browsing web pages or streaming movies?

For streaming movies, either connect your PC directly to the TV via HDMI cable or buy a standalone streaming device such as Roku if you want it to go "via router".

Would use for surfing web and watching YOUTUBE videos of car reviews , music , etc..We just started using ROKU and really enjoy it . Especially I-Heart music .

Last edited:
As mentioned by QP, you can either use your TV as the monitor to your PC or use a device like ROKU directly on your TV. What works best for your setup?

Google Chromecast works good for me to cast online videos to my TV. I use Google Chrome browser on my desktop to cast, but it works with phones and tablets too.

I think I had to use my wife's Samsung Galaxy Tab to set it up because the Chrome browser did not let me change Chromecast settings. Don't know if it's still this way or not because I have been using it off and on for over a year, and have not changed any settings.

This is the one I have.

https://store.google.com/product/chromecast

Originally Posted by odie
Would use for surfing web and watching YOUTUBE videos of car reviews , music , etc..

Is your PC a laptop? If so, just get a long enough HDMI cable to reach from TV to the couch.

Your Roku should support cast. Check under settings.

You can use your smartphone to cast or your computer if it's supported.

You can get something like an Apple TV, Fire TV, Chrome Cast, etc and install VLC player to play files from your PC, is that what you want to do?

I tried roku.

Youtube is on ROKU for free, so no need for PC for that.

odie did you cut the cable or never have it?

I didn't like the picture quality (running 1080P) on ROKU v. my new model X1 box.

And I ran the ultra box with ethernet, not wiffy

It had some odd motion blurring especially noticeable when faces were moving.
Like the old MPEG-2 compression on DVD And very flat non dynamic non "3D appearance"

So I'm back to very costly xfinity, that has a bunch of free apps like youtube and and the ears hurt radio.

So I can listen to AM 680 WRKO afternoon. VB in the Middle - one of the very best, general audience entertaining talk radio guys ever on radio.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
I didn't like the picture quality (running 1080P) on ROKU v. my new model X1 box.

That's odd. IME, picture quality on my Roku is excellent with HD content, even with me throttling the Roku's bandwidth to measly 3.5 Mpbs.

Then again, my TV is a 10-year-old 55" Samsung, so maybe not exactly mind-blowing quality by today's standards.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

That's odd. IME, picture quality on my Roku is excellent with HD content, even with me throttling the Roku's bandwidth to measly 3.5 Mpbs.

Then again, my TV is a 10-year-old 55" Samsung, so maybe not exactly mind-blowing quality by today's standards.

Yeah, I still had the cable box connected up along with the trial Roku Ultra on Input 2. ThereMay have been ground loops or other stuff going on. Plus I used a GE inexpensive HDMI cable that I had NIB unused ( My old Govt contractor threw away 3/8 dia, pro grade HDMI by the hundreds so i grabbed a couple of those and that is what is te feed from the xfinity X1 box) But wife wasn't in love with the platform or remote ( running youtube TV as a cable-cutter)

Again it was obvious Motion artifacts and blurring , seen in live new and on-demand. The still shots were very clean.

IDK.

Thanks !!! We found YOUTUBE on ROKU by using SEARCH . That brought up regular Youtube and Youtubetv . ROKU has very good picture quality . It's less than 6 mbps . No dropping . Used Youtube SEARCH and viewed Don Kirschners ' Rock Concert of Bad Co. , Starz , Joe Walsh and friends and a few others . Also listened / viewed to rock groups Lake , Starcastle , Piper ( Billy Squier ) , Dan Fogelberg , REX ( Rex Smith ) and others . I'm addicted !!! Help !
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
The Youtube is free , Youtubetv isn't . Correct me if needed .

Last edited:
Originally Posted by odie
The Youtube is free , Youtubetv isn't . Correct me if needed .

You are correct. I subscribe to YouTube Premium, which is ad-free YouTube with some original content. YouTube TV is an entirely different subscription service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back