Oxygen Generators

I have heard those those machines will make a room hot in the summer and are loud? Can they be placed in a garage or basement? Those prices seem good.

If they intend to take it on an airplane, be certain that it's an FAA approved model. Not all models are. Without that approval, they won't be able to travel with it.

Edit: I see you're only considering the home models from your link. So the above doesn't really apply.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by LazyDog
I know the members here at much younger than me, but have you ever bought or help an older person with an oxygen generator.

I am looking at purchasing one for home used, here is a small link.

https://www.oxygenconcentrator.shop/collections/home-oxygen-concentrator

10 years ago, my dad had to have one after major surgery. and he rented one through a medical supplier. It was biggish and kinda noisy... we located it in another room and he used a long hose. I've seen newer models that a friend's mother carried in the small rack under her wheelchair- it was battery powered and much quieter (until the low battery alarm invariably started beeping during church...). But other than that, no direct experience with newer ones.

Be really careful... O2 is very dangerous around plastics. fabrics, and any source of ignition.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Well oxygen is not flammable but increased O2 concentration aids in the combustion of other materials.

And, it can even cause spontaneous combustion of oils and greases.

Heck, even things that aren't considered flammable under ordinary circumstances will burn when exposed to pure oxygen. It's really quite fascinating.

My late Dad used one for a year or so . Yes , loud and probably put off a lot of heat . Medicare paid for it ( home unit 120 VAC ) and a portable O2 tank for when he went to the store or Doctor's office .

Thanks for all the replies.
The only reason I am considering having some oxygen capability at home is due to Covid 19, the virus really like to go after people with any kind of lung problems. I fit the bill in pretty much everything this virus likes and after waiting 7 weeks for an Oximeter I am considering this capability for just in case.

Back