Owners manual?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just purchased a 2000 Niss. Sentra with 1.8 liter engine for my wife. Bought used therefore, no owners manual. Anyone know where I can download a manual. And, can anyone tell me what weight oil and crankcase capacity for oil and filter change is on this car? Thanks for any help.

Go to www.nissan-techinfo.com, and work from there. You'll have to set up an account (free) and once you do, you'll have access to a bunch of stuff online, including owner's manuals. A great source, but not too intuitive. You'll find service manuals easier than owner's manuals. Hint: go to the "inside publications" tab toward the top of the after-login page, and you'll find what you're looking for. I do not know how much they will charge you to allow the download.
cheers.gif

EDIT: Actually, good news, it's free! I just tried it myself, and the zip came right down with no unseemly requests for credit card info!

quote:

Originally posted by Tosh:
You're thinking the previous owner might have kept the oil filter?

:lol:Actually, when I posted that I was in the middle of an oil change and couldnt find where the oil filter was located on the block. I called the Niss. dealership and was informed that I wouldnt be able to reach it without a lift and boy were they right. I got him to tell me where it was and being that I dont have a lift and drained the oil out already and no matter how hard I tried with a jack couldnt reach it, I had to pour in fresh oil and bring it to my mechanic so he could just drain out the new oil that I just put in and change the filter.

FWIW (little...), Nissan seems pretty devious in selecting filter locations. The filter on my G35 is absolutely hopeless. No lift or pit, no change, period. It's absolutely invisible from above. In contrast, the filters on my late V-6 Camry and in my wife's Sequoia are easily visible accessible from above. The current generation 4-Runner V-6 is the best I've ever seen. The filter sits right up at the top of the engine in a little catch tray, and just seems to be saying, "here I am, change me anytime you like." Eat your heart out. . .
wink.gif
tongue.gif
cheers.gif

Oh yeah? Well, the filter on my Acura sits just next to the right wheel well, down low next to the oil pan. So all you have to do is turn the wheel to the right, kneel down, reach in to unscrew it, and flip it upside down into the drain pan. Surely that's better than reaching it from above?

The worst filter location I've ever dealt with was on the Honda Del Sol where the filter is on the backside of the engine and you HAVE to jack the car up to get to it (Civic is probably like that too).

The best filter location I've ever dealt with is on any GM vehicle with the 2.2L Ecotec. It's on top, and it's a cartridge filter so you just have some newspaper ready to wrap it in for disposal.

No having to pierce the filter and letting it drain like you SHOULD be doing with spin-on filters before disposal.

Yes, once I found the stupid thing, and a new element, the Ecotec cartridge is great. Worst I remember was the 71 Valiant with the 318 V-8. Oh it was right there above and parallel to the torsion bar. I think I had my 16'' Chanellocks the whole 10 years I fought that thing, never realizing they were better than any filter wrench.

Not every Nissan is as bad as the next. I've done a 96 Altima and it was a pain. A 97 Maxima, on the other hand, is quite easy -- turn the steering to the right, remove a small plastic panel and you have the filter and drain bolt in plain view. You can remove both without raising the car or lying on the ground. You can also have both off and dripping into the same container at the same time since they are close together.

My own cars are early 90s Honda 4 cylinders (Civic and Accord), both difficult on the rear side of the engine. You have to get way under there and reach up past the exhaust and left half shaft. The Accord is situated so that if you drip it gets on the exhaust, causing a stink the next time you drive it.

I had 90s honda civic and accord and when I change dthe filter, I found it was easier to get at them by going under the car from behind the driver side tire. I had to make sure the jack stands were stable.

The easies had to be my mother's Mercedes Diesel of the 80s vintage. Cartridge filter at the top of the engine.

Currnet vehicle is a Honda odyssey and the filter location is similiar to the TL mentioned above.

We traded an 89 Accord for this Sentra. The way I used to get at the filter was from above on the passenger side and snake my arm behind all the vac. lines behind the engine.

quote:

Originally posted by Tosh:
Oh yeah? Well, the filter on my Acura sits just next to the right wheel well, down low next to the oil pan. So all you have to do is turn the wheel to the right, kneel down, reach in to unscrew it, and flip it upside down into the drain pan. Surely that's better than reaching it from above?

No. On the V-6 Camry, it's right there on the front of the block. Other than making sure you don't burn yourself on the exhaust, it's absurdly easy to take off and put on, you barely bend over, let alone stoop or kneel. And done correctly, you barely spill a drop. It already points down a little so as soon as you're done unscrewing it, you tip it a little further, slide your arm a few inches to the side and lift it out. But again, we're splitting hairs -- the 4-Runner beats them all -- it's just sitting there as accessible as a battery normally is.
cheers.gif

I depend on this forum for splitting hairs, oiling the squeaky wheel, crying over spilled oil, and fixing what ain't broke...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back