Ow20 v 5w30

Hi folks. The owners manual on my my 23 Elantra 1.6hybrid says the oil should be 0w20 BUT it also says consider using 5w30 with warmer temps (the image looks to like they identify anything above 5c as ‘warmer’. it says 0w20 is better for fuel economy. The oil fill cap says use 0w20.
I live in Toronto … should I just stick to 0w20 all year or fill with 5w30 for the summer months? Or is it wash either way and I’m just overthinking this?

Here in hot and sticky South Florida, 'if' it were my car, I'd run the best 5W-30 synthetic I could find. Up in Canada, I'd run the best 0W-20 I could find. With the possible exception of a brutally hot summer.

1.6 non turbo? I'd use 0W20 year round if I owned it. If the engine shuts on and off all the time being a hybrid, I'd think thinner is better for faster lubrication regardless if it's winter or summer.
Regardless, make sure you save the oil and filter receipts if changing your own oil and write the Km's and date on them.

Post a picture of your manual where it says 5w-30.

With that brand's engine reputation, I'd run a synthetic 0w-30 or 5w30 and never even consider a 0w20. Hybrid in Canada? Post back on how well the battery does frozen during the winter.

We were shopping for a hybrid and when I looked thru the US manual for the elantrahybrid, 0w-20 was the only choice in viscosity. The engines getting 0w20 or 0w30 don't give other options since these grades are full synthetic. The days of 'oil grade choices' with hyundaikia are coming to an end.

I’m just shy of 12 years in on a 5.7l Hemi (71k) running nothing but 5w20 and almost 9 years in on a Chrysler 2.4l multi-air (150k) with nothing but 0w20. I’ll let you know when the hot, humid Arkansas summer makes either blow up.
IMO, just run the 0w20.

Cheers. 🍻

I think, as mentioned above by Justin89, a great option would be 0W/30 such as Mobil 1 or similar full syn. I prefer running the same oil consistently rather than swapping between 0w/20 and 5w/30 from winter/summer - just run one (0w/30) all year.

I’m just shy of 12 years in on a 5.7l Hemi (71k) running nothing but 5w20 and almost 9 years in on a Chrysler 2.4l multi-air (150k) with nothing but 0w20. I’ll let you know when the hot, humid Arkansas summer makes either blow up.
IMO, just run the 0w20.

Cheers. 🍻
2016 Ram 5.7 with 127k miles using only 5w/30 full syn. The motor was originally spec'd for 5w/30. The 5w/20 change was an EPA/MPG thing which I refuse to follow for an unnoticable gain in fuel mileage with potentially less protection for my engine which tows and endures Texas heat. Just my opinion, not saying you are wrong because obviously it works well for you. Cheers as well!

I own a 2023 Hyundai Elantra hybid. I see no mention of any oil other than 0W20. But, I'm in the U.S. and you are in Canada.
I use 0W20.

I own a 2023 Hyundai Elantra hybid. I see no mention of any oil other than 0W20. But, I'm in the U.S. and you are in Canada.
I use 0W20.
It is because the automaker is required to strenuously promote the oil grade (including the winter rating) of the oil that was used to obtain fuel economy determinations. This includes in the owner's manual, marketing displays in dealerships and in ensuring supply.

The outside temperature doesn't matter. What matters is the oil temperature.

It is highly unlikely you will be getting oil temperature in a hybrid any higher than a normal range, even if it is 40 degrees outside. Just use 0w20 all the time.

The outside temperature doesn't matter. What matters is the oil temperature.

It is highly unlikely you will be getting oil temperature in a hybrid any higher than a normal range, even if it is 40 degrees outside. Just use 0w20 all the time.

Sure it does, for cold starts. As one who has experienced the real struggles of bitter cold operations in Alaskan winters, cold startup can be a real problem. Especially with the wrong oil adding to the issues.

Sure it does, for cold starts. As one who has experienced the real struggles of bitter cold operations in Alaskan winters, cold startup can be a real problem. Especially with the wrong oil adding to the issues.
How often does it get down to -35 in Toronto?

Hi folks. The owners manual on my my 23 Elantra 1.6hybrid says the oil should be 0w20 BUT it also says consider using 5w30 with warmer temps (the image looks to like they identify anything above 5c as ‘warmer’. it says 0w20 is better for fuel economy. The oil fill cap says use 0w20.
I live in Toronto … should I just stick to 0w20 all year or fill with 5w30 for the summer months? Or is it wash either way and I’m just overthinking this?
0w20 is ****, go with 0w30

keep oil in it and call it a day. it should be fine with anywhere from 16-50 weight oil based on differing experience from various forum members

Back