Ow20 or 5w30

Want to do an early oil change on my daughters' wrangler 3.6, she's at 1500 miles, but the only thing holding me back is that it's a lease, should I stick with the Ow20 or go with 5w30. :unsure:

It's a lease. If it were my lease I'd use 0w-16 afe or the cheapest 0w-20 after going over the olm instead of 1500 miles. Unless you plan on buying out the lease I'd take the current fill to the very end then use whatever. Dealer's still gonna put it on the certifried presludged section after you're done.

Depends if you’re buying it after the lease. If you are, I’d change it early. If not, wait for the olm and use the cheapest stuff you can that’s within spec. If I was going to buy I’d be using 5w30 with what I’ve read about those Pentastars.

Want to do an early oil change on my daughters' wrangler 3.6, she's at 1500 miles, but the only thing holding me back is that it's a lease, should I stick with the Ow20 or go with 5w30. :unsure:

What does the oil cap indicate? There is usually some kind of printing on it, might say 5W-30 maybe even 5W-20. 0W-20 is not unheard of.

Preliminary results indicate 0W-20.

F359F3AD-AAD6-4567-B656-BF5794C99ABE.jpeg

It's a lease, so you take only slightly better care than a rental.

Flip a coin, I doubt the engine cares. Maybe go 0W20 since isn't cheap right now.

I suggest pup 0w-20 it's a thick 0w-20 runs smoothly and quietly in my 2.5 Camry. Feels much thicker than AFE 20. 02

If your intent is to DIY with excellent record keeping, stick with what the OM recommends.

If you don't care about keeping records, 5w30 won't be a problem and you won't notice a difference. It's what I used in both my Pentastars because it made me feel better. Silly I know.

I used to be a hardcore 5w-30 fanatic, still am I guess, but I've read here that the 0w-20's are close to being a monograde and because of excellent base stocks and the reduction in the amount of viscosity modifiers they are fine for most applications that actually recommend their use.

I still have a stock pile of VW 507 (5w-30) and 508 (0w-20) that I use in all my vehicles. Sometimes I'll mix them (they are all Mobil oils).

Back