Oversized Filter list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once upon a time, long while back, some fine fella compiled a list of oversized filters in all the different thread and gasket sizes. Anyone remember it? Wish it was a sticky, but a search doesn't turn it up either. My interest is in the 1.5 X 20MM, but all of the sizes were covered in the list. My 2004 Outback takes 4.2 quarts and has a tiny Dixie-cup filter (and I use the bigger one from the H-6) and after a slight overfill, I'll then be stuck with a big dopey jug with a half-quart left. If I can find the oversize, I'll just dump the entire jug in and call it a day. I have plenty of room under there for a massive oversize, assuming I can find the right bypass setting.

Anyone remember that list? As always, thanks!

ive had luck finding info on fram sites that have application fits. i remember finding a 2.5 qt filter for my chevy boat motor.

Purolator and Fram guide booklets in the autoparts stores have a back section that lists the information of their filters that I have used from time to time, to oversize the filters on my cars. I don't oversized anymore due to space constraints or other reasons but, give it a look or visit their websites and maybe(MAYBE)there is some of the same information there!

Good luck!

Originally Posted By: Concours14
Once upon a time, long while back, some fine fella compiled a list of oversized filters in all the different thread and gasket sizes. Anyone remember it? Wish it was a sticky, but a search doesn't turn it up either. My interest is in the 1.5 X 20MM, but all of the sizes were covered in the list. My 2004 Outback takes 4.2 quarts and has a tiny Dixie-cup filter (and I use the bigger one from the H-6) and after a slight overfill, I'll then be stuck with a big dopey jug with a half-quart left. If I can find the oversize, I'll just dump the entire jug in and call it a day. I have plenty of room under there for a massive oversize, assuming I can find the right bypass setting.

Anyone remember that list? As always, thanks!

Save the extra oil for make-up oil. I need 6 QT for Jeep and buy 2 five gallon jugs and at some point I only need to buy one jug although I do sometimes add make-up oil.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I need 6 QT for Jeep and buy 2 five gallon jugs..

What kind of oil comes in five gallon jugs? Is it Rotella?

^^^Thinking D meant two 5 qt jugs.

As for OP's question I don't recall list mentioned. But it appears your Outback specs the 3593A Fram 14459 Purolator size. The latter does distinguish the four cylinder using a much higher bypass spec in the 14460 filter. But the filter lengths are the same.

You can go to Donaldson and do an attribute search here.

And as the thread below talks about the same 14449 application, it may be of some help in looking for an oversize application.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1162804

I don't know how much room you have to play with but if you have the room, take a look at the Baldwin B202 filter. It's a much larger filter than what's on your car now. My S2000 takes the same thread oil filter as your Outback. My S2000 has the room and I have ran this oil filter for over 90k miles on my S2000.

ROD

Originally Posted By: rrounds
Here are some pic's of a Baldwin B7042(same size as the B202 but the B202 has a higher bypass setting, 20psid instead of 14 psid)
http://s949.photobucket.com/user/rrounds/library/Oil Filters?sort=2&page=1
Like I said, its a big one.
ROD

Thanks, Rounds! Perfect! Works for me! In a Wix, it's this:

Part Number: 51182
UPC Number: 765809511828
Principle Application: PeugeotTurbo Diesel (82-89), Cat Forklifts, Hyster, Kioti, JCB
Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 5.207
Outer Diameter Top: 3.66
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed:
Thread Size: 20X1.5 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 24
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Beta Ratio: 2/20=6/20
Burst Pressure-PSI: 350
Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 21

Gasket Diameters Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.834 2.462 0.200

Looking further into these Subaru filters for these applications, it's interesting imo that Fram makes no distinction for the 4 cylinder versus the 6 cylinder engine. They list the 3593A with a 12 psi bypass spec.

Compare that to Purolator and Wix that both list separate applications with a different bypass spec for the 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder engine. The 4 cylinder application lists in both Purolator and Wix have a low 20's psi bypass spec. Otoh, the 6 has a low teens psi bypass.

Normally don't think much about bypass spec as long as they are in relatively close range. But in this case imo there is a significant difference in the bypass spec between the 4 and 6 cylinder. If I owned the four cylinder, the 3593A would not be my first choice.

Good the OP found an oversize to meet his requirements.

That Wix crosses over to the Baldwin B7042. I don't know the size that that Wix filter has inside of the can, but from my pic's the Wix was smaller than the Honda filter even though the cans were the same size. If you can pick up the Wix for cheap to see if it will fit, I'd do that and if it fit buy a 6 or 12 pack of the Baldwin B202 oil filters online. You can find them for $6 to $8 each online, sometimes cheaper.

Here is one place that has good prices on Baldwin filters
http://baldwinfilters4less.com/BaldwinFi...ldwin%20Filters
And if you find a "Coupon Code" online you can bring the price down even further.

ROD
Yes, I like Baldwin

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: asb32952
Originally Posted By: rrounds
Here are some pic's of a Baldwin B7042(same size as the B202 but the B202 has a higher bypass setting, 20psid instead of 14 psid)
http://s949.photobucket.com/user/rrounds/library/Oil Filters?sort=2&page=1
Like I said, its a big one.

ROD

Will the 20 psid cause gasket leaks?

No ... the bypass valve setting has nothing to do with how much oil pressure is inside the can, which is what the base gasket is sealing.

The bypass valve only senses the pressure difference (delta-p or psid) across the filter media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back