oversized filter for toyota 1.6L 4afe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 97 corolla with 1.6L motor. It only holds 3.2 quarts of oil! Not to mention, the filter is a PITA to get it. Is there an oversized option?

PS how long OCIs can be run with such a small capacity.

Hmm i thought about it, but its a beater, dont really wanna spend a lot. And with extended intervals, it shouldnt be too bad. An extended filter would make removal pretty easy.

Originally Posted By: VW_TDI_PD
There is no extended filter for this type of motor?

wix 51396. 3.4 inches vs 3 for the 51394.

I like these...
biggasoilfilter.jpg

This xref's to a 51348 ...which is as long as the 51396 ..so no gain in Wix.
P550078

LUBE FILTER SPIN-ON

A - OD (Inches) 3.31
B - Thread Size (Inches) 3/4-16
C - Length (Inches) 4.92
D - Gasket OD (Inches) 2.47
E - Gasket ID (Inches) 2.25
Anti Drain Valve (Y/N) Yes
Product Type Description LUBE SPIN-ON FULL FLOW
Primary Application TOYOTA 15601-33010

Have you checked into a 51516. The gasket is slightly bigger, but it may not make a difference. That's plenty long.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Have you checked into a 51516. The gasket is slightly bigger, but it may not make a difference. That's plenty long.

For what its worth, my Tacoma can run a 51348 (direct OEM replacement) or a bigger 51516 should fit. The advertized Beta ratio shows a slight loss in particle filtering efficiency with the 51516--but not enough to bother me. The flow and capacity should be very good.
I believe the bypass setting and gasket size are the same on these two.

I've used the ph3600(Taurus Vulcan 3.0 filter) and ph3614(Tundra 4.7) filter on various Toyota 4cyl engines.

Ya. Its funny though, I have a 2.7, and most filter brands are listed as the same part number as for the 4.0 version. But the Toyota OEM has a different part number for the 4.0, and it is bigger and has a different bypass pressure setting. Weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back