Oversized Filter for 92 2.2L Subaru Legacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've done some searching, and found a few posts, but some posts are talking about multiple brand vehicles, and trying to decipher all of it, is confusing.

I have a 92 Subaru Legacy Wagon. AWD, ABS, etc. 2.2L Motor, NON Turbo. I want to know what oversized filter will fit on the car? I can't go much bigger in diameter, but it can be quite a bit longer. Exhaust Manifold on pass side of engine is plently far away not to be a concern..

Thanks

Unfortunatly I cannot help with what filter will fit that vehicle. But before you go and purchase an Ea026, I would purchase some cheaper bigger filters and play around to see what fits, this is what I did.

The Ea026 (which I also use) is a huge filter, it holds about 2 liters on its own. If you have the room, by all means go for it.

Originally Posted By: Buffman
I've done some searching, and found a few posts, but some posts are talking about multiple brand vehicles, and trying to decipher all of it, is confusing.

I have a 92 Subaru Legacy Wagon. AWD, ABS, etc. 2.2L Motor, NON Turbo. I want to know what oversized filter will fit on the car? I can't go much bigger in diameter, but it can be quite a bit longer. Exhaust Manifold on pass side of engine is plently far away not to be a concern..

Thanks

Take a look at Wix 51344 or 51568

Last edited:
This is a Honda thread. The Oz Subbies must use the 3/4-16 or Toyota/Nissan (US version anyway) thread for an EaO26 to fit.

Part Number: 51334
UPC Number: 765809513341
Principal Application: Acura (88-05), Chevrolet (85-88), Dodge (91-96), Ford (88-96), Honda (72-08), Hyundai (89-08), Isuzu (85-04), Kia (01-08), Mercury (87-91), Mitsubishi (89-98), Subaru (87-08) Atlas-Copco, Case, John Deere, Kobelco, Komatsu, Kubota, Onan, Toro & Yanmar Diesel, Other
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 3.194
Outer Diameter Top: 3.252
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 20X1.5 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Beta Ratio: 2/20=22/40
Burst Pressure-PSI: 280
Max Flow Rate: 9-11 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 19

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.475 2.173 0.233

This here is probably a wash or a loss in volume.

Part Number: 51356
UPC Number: 765809513563
Principal Application: Acura (02-09), Chrysler Imports (92-06), Ford Probe (93-97), Honda (01-09), Infiniti/Nissan (96-08), Mazda (71-00), Mercury Villager (99-00), Mitsubishi (90-09), Saturn (04-07), Outboard Marine Engines, Various HD Equip.
All Applications
Height: 3.402
Outer Diameter Top: 2.685
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11
Beta Ratio: 2/20=6/19
Burst Pressure-PSI: 363

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.475 2.173 0.233

Here (the number from bpi) it's surely longer ..the bypass is up there with a Purolator.

Part Number: 51568
UPC Number: 765809515680
Principal Application: Komatsu Equipment, Yanmar Engines
All Applications
Height: 4.072
Outer Diameter Top: 3.234
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 16
Burst Pressure-PSI: 320

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.475 2.173 0.148

Since the 1356 has a much better beta ratio than the 1334, wouldn't it make sense to use those for most applications that use the 1334? It's not that much bigger of a filter, and it's only a few cents more... I've been wanting to use the 1356 because of the equivalent specs, but a better beta ratio on my '95 Acura.

Maybe. As I'm sure you're aware, there are a variety of conventions that one may subscribe to on BITOG.
Each one of them makes sense to those who subscribe to them. Whether they truly hold water or not doesn't seem to result in too much upset one way or the other.
grin2.gif

so it looks like the 51568 will work. almost a full inch longer without much diameter increase. I'll have to check it out. Thanks

Buffman, that Subaru you have is awesome and built like a tank! I had a '92 Legacy L sedan with FWD and the 4 speed automatic transmission and that car never gave me any trouble. My family had it since it was new and it was my first car. The car could have still been alive if it weren't for my teenage recklessness back then as the car met its faith with a curb. It could have been fixed but it would be very expensive as the car was 14 yrs. old at the time.

How many miles do you have on yours?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Spartuss
Buffman, that Subaru you have is awesome and built like a tank! I had a '92 Legacy L sedan with FWD and the 4 speed automatic transmission and that car never gave me any trouble. My family had it since it was new and it was my first car. The car could have still been alive if it weren't for my teenage recklessness back then as the car met its faith with a curb. It could have been fixed but it would be very expensive as the car was 14 yrs. old at the time.

How many miles do you have on yours?

I just bought it about 2 weeks ago. It has 155,000 miles. 2.2L, AWD. It's just in decent need of TLC. Nice the second owner (who I bought from) paid $2K 2 yrs ago and had all of the air ride suspension replaced with standard suspension. So that's one less thing I have to worry about.

Brakes and Tires were shot. It's got X radials (195/70/14) I just put on it, and will be getting brakes soon. Other than a bunch of small maintenance (fluids) the major thing was the dirty interior. I'm not sure if it was ever involved in an accident (took door panel off found door was blue; car is gold) as I've been finding glass all inside the car.

Trans has the typical Duty C solenoid problem, but the AWD still functions, and since it's my winter beater, I won't worry about it for now. It's also in need of either a new rear wheel bearing or CV shaft, but other than that runs great

Last edited:
yeah I'm not a fan of that skinny of a tire. I had the 185s on my civic I had years ago and it was horrible in the snow. I went with a little wider tire.

Not sure if any issues, but the TCU is displaying a Duty C error when doing scanning.

Narrower tires are recommended for snow and ice. Buffman- maybe the tires you gad that were 185 width were not that great in general in any size.

Wider tires are fine for stuff you can float on top of with FWD (or AWD). The problem arises when the stuff is packed and rutted where higher ground pressure yields better performance. It's the same with mud. You can use flotation tires if the stuff has no bottom that you're ever going to reach ..but if it has a bottom, skinny rules.

Originally Posted By: Spartuss
Narrower tires are recommended for snow and ice. Buffman- maybe the tires you gad that were 185 width were not that great in general in any size.

possibly. They were dunlop sp40s IIRC. I just didn't like how the car handled in the snow with them. The gf's cavalier (well it's FWD like the civic) goes through all sorts of winter weather, just fine and dandy with the 195/70/14s :) Besides they didnt' have the X Radial in stock at sam's club in the stock size so I went with the 195s :) Should give me a Touch (well maybe a thin hair) better dry traction :)

Hm Eao20 I will have to check that out. I've been running Eao36's on the soobs iirc. There was also an excellent post on this board a couple years back from a nice chap who found a replacement filter nipple, so you could unscrew the soob oem nipple and screw in a different size which let you fit some standard thread gigantic oil filter.

I believe it was a few years of Jeep where they were using the 20x1.5 thread ..but the blocks were still 3/4-16. You buy the adapter and you can put the 20x1.5 end inside your block and then use 3/4-16 filters ...of which there are many.

Okay ..and filter stud for a 1987-1991 used a 20x1.5m thread filter. So if you can get the dealer to get you the threaded stud ..you're in business.

If you're going to do this, I'd check SOON. I doubt the availability will be eternal.

I have a 92 Legacy AWD LS wagon. It's my 4th Subaru of this generation. They are outstanding cars and a perfect winter car. I mostly just use the standard filters on it, the engine will never wear out from poor filtering as long as you change it at a reasonable interval. If you had a turbo model it would be worth while to switch out the fitting and use the 3/4 inch style filters just to be extra safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back