Overfilling 351W

Status
Not open for further replies.
How sensitive would a 1990 Ford 351w be to overfilling with one qt of oil. Accidentally put in seven. Can i leave or should I drain a qt?

ford 351...brings badgood thoughts to my mind.

1 quart...
54.gif
Does it burn oil?
I personally, wouldn't worry. Other BITOGER'S might know differently, however.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would drain it. If the crankshaft starts whipping it around you could have issues with air bubbles in the oil causing lubrication failure. Not real probable but possible and not worth the problems it could cause.

it doesn't matter so much how many qts you put in,
i use 7qts in the 351w in my boat but that's after i know i've completely drained the pan and with new filter which gets me about 1/4" over the mark on the dipstick.
on most domestic v-8's you're usually safe up to a 1/2" over the full mark on the dipstick, once you get around 1" over then the crank can start whipping the oil.

i once overfilled the LS1 in my car, drove it the next day and i noticed the sluggishness, was about 1.5" over the full mark.

the crank whip = air bubble = failure is sort of a myth,
i think somebody rationalized it and the internet made it true,
the oil pump pickup is at the bottom of the pan,
air bubbles do not sink to the bottom of the pan,
and for most any engine oil air entrapment really doesn't happen unless you put other additives into it which upset the oil causing air entrapment, and hot oil if you've ever played with it won't hold air bubbles at all, i've tried to satisfy my curiosity. And for an actual "failure" or even excessive wear to happen that would have to be a lot of air the oil pump sucks up to starve the mains of oil. The mains see less oil supply after you've changed the oil and the pump has to refill the oil filter for those few seconds before full pressure reaches the mains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back