Overfilled 5.3L Tahoe oil - started knocking on cold starts

2008 Tahoe, 250K, everything is original.
Don't know how I did it but for the first time in my life I overfilled the engine with oil, Mobil 1, seems by about 1/2 quart, estimated.
And it started knocking on cold starts. For the first 30 - 45 seconds or so.
My engine leaks oil so I think it will be self-remediated shortly.

I overfilled the engine with oil, Mobil 1, seems by about 1/2 quart, estimate
Mobil 1 can be noisy at startup. Have you used it before ? It could also be the filter if your using a different brand than you normally do.

Just installed a new Purolator Pure 1 and I usually don't change the filter every time I change oil. Lately it has been one oil change per year, or when I feel like it.

Did you dump that Lucas stuff in ?

I know the 5.3 is famous for piston slap but don't know exactly which years were affected but haven't experienced it with mine which is an '04 w/ around 120k miles. If it's a stuck lifer you can try adding a quart of MMO to help free it up, using synthetic oil it's most likely not needed but that stuff does do wonders for lifters.

I seriously doubt overfilling by that much caused any real damage.

Did you dump that Lucas stuff in ?

Nope, decided to just change the fluid completely at some point in the future.

I installed fresh M1 synthetic a week ago, forget which weight and a new Purolator Pure One. That's when I overfilled it a bit.
I plan to change the transmission fluid in the future.

Did you use the PL12222 filter? Just making sure you used the right Purolator filter.

I've used Purolator filters over the years from the regular ones and Pure One and have had no issues whatsoever with them, they are usually my go-to filter after OEM.

Knocking would be bad, that sounds like the filter is completely draining, along with the galleries above it. Does the oil pressure light stay on, for more than a second? The LS engines have the sensor up top, so if everything drains out, it may take a few seconds to build pressure back up again. 30-45 seconds is way too long!

Half a quart over is not why the engine is knocking. Try a different brand filter and see if that helps.

Back