Oil suggestions for short trip driver in hot climate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new Honda Ridgeline truck and seldom go more than a few miles at a time with it. There is a once every couple months highway trip for about 75 miles but that is it. Generally it is a 9 mile trip to the grocery or a 3 mile trip to the workout room. About four times every year my car sits in the garage unused for two weeks at a time. And I live in Texas where the summers are HOT. I understand that hot climates and short trips are **** on oils (although I really don't know why).

I have been reading many threads dealing with various oils that show good UOA for the V6 Honda such as Havoline, ExxonMobil, Chevron and Motorcraft 5W20s. Since I plan on using the on board oil life monitor, my guess is that I will go at least six months and maybe even up to a year before it tells me that service is due. Then again, I may just get a bit apprehensive about this kind of OCI and go back to my 5,000 mile oil changes no matter how long it takes to get there and no matter what the monitor tells me is left for oil life.

Given this scenario of driving habits what oil would you recommend? Also, would you recommend a synthetic?

Hot temps are not that hard on oils compared to short trips....and one could argue that short trips in cold weather are worse for your engine.

Rather than go with miles - Just choose one of the good oils you mention or pick a better synthetic and do changes every 6 months.

Are you planning on keeping the Ridgeline long term or do you trade in every few years? Regardless you the OLM is a great tool and I would use it. If you plan on keeping the vehicle long term go to synthetic for the extra protection due to the severe use the short trips put you under... the Texas heat is not going to effect your oil much as it will rarely get to full operating temperature in the 3-9 mile city driving scenario you describe.

Texas and Havoline go hand-in-hand! Synthetics offer better heat protection, longer OCIs. With your infrequent, short trip driving, I would change it ever 5K... for no particular reason but peace of mind.

I do not trust the accuracy & integrity of oil life monitors. It should be an option on vehicles.... not shoved down our throats during our new vehicle purchases. I paid for something I didn't want on my Colorado P/U. That upsets me.

"I paid for something I didn't want on my Colorado P/U. That upsets me."

What kind of coercion or duress were you under to buy something you did not want?
wink.gif

OLM systems are not that uncommon anymore. You can choose to use it or not..from what I have seen here and on vehicles I with OLM they seem to measure the stress put on the oil accurately enough.

Bryanccfshr - to answer your question, I plan on keeping the vehicle no more than 5 years which will give me about 50,000 miles or so, maybe more if I start taking auto trips instead of my usual airplane trips. I traded a '99 Dakota for the Ridge a couple months ago and I had 58,000 miles on it. At my age now I plan on getting a new truck every 5 years.

But I wonder, what difference does it make? If some oils protect better for the long term won't they protect better in the short term as well?

I agree with Pablo on this one. Maybe 6 months or 3,000 miles, whichever comes first with a good dino. Would you even hit 3,000 miles after 6 months, or sooner?

Yea Drew, I would probably hit 3000 miles in six months. In fact, I want to drive this thing more than I have driven my other cars - it is so neat! I feel like I'm not really getting my money worth out of it driving it like I do. I'm retired and live in the sticks and the only time I get away is by air someplace. I want to change that now. So, I'll go all out and try to average 1,000 miles a month. I may not make it every month but I'm going to start taking some trips with this thing!!

Yes market525, the Ridgeline has a real life OLM similar to GMs. It checks temps, short/long trips, revs, etc. In other words, it does what an OLM should do and make its oil "analysis" based on driving habits and conditions. This really should be a very guide and, from what I understand, is a proven technology. Time for me to come out of the stone age!!

quote:

Originally posted by martyi:
Bryanccfshr - to answer your question, I plan on keeping the vehicle no more than 5 years which will give me about 50,000 miles or so, maybe more if I start taking auto trips instead of my usual airplane trips. I traded a '99 Dakota for the Ridge a couple months ago and I had 58,000 miles on it. At my age now I plan on getting a new truck every 5 years.

But I wonder, what difference does it make? If some oils protect better for the long term won't they protect better in the short term as well?

In that case I would just run Havoline or a conoco phillips(tropartic, motorcraft) motor oil in the factory recomended grade and rating.
If you want to maintain slightly better performance(fuel mileage)/cleanliness you could use FP-60 and some LC or use AutoRX i maintenance doses(the next owner would then get a gem).. but going by the OLM and driving in a warm climate you will gain no advantages in 50k miles. It is barely broken in at that point
wink.gif

If you are looking for a hobby you can do used oil analysis's to see how spot on the OLM is.

offtopic.gif
How do you like the performance of the Ridgeline? Any quirks? How does it fit your needs?

quote:

Originally posted by martyi:
...I understand that hot climates and short trips are **** on oils (although I really don't know why)...

Short trips in any weather result in fuel dilution and excess condensation in the sump. The result is an out of grade viscosity and acid buildup unless you either change the oil more frequently, or regularly extend the duration of your driving. Don't be lulled by assurances that Southwest heat won't have any appreciable effect. You're dealing with severe service* on the basis of both the heat and the short-tripping. If you also reside in an area subject to dusty-windy conditions, add that to the list, too.

*READ your owner's manual for clarification.

get EXCELLENT results with a more severe, yet similar in some ways useage profile in my mother's 97 plymouth breeze, using M1 5w30.

Id use M1 5w-20 or 5w-30 and just go with the oil life monitor. Keep your mind at ease.

JMH

Bryanccfshr - I plan on doing just that to see what the UOA report has to say. A guy at the Ridgeline forum went by his OLM and changed oil at (I think) the 15% mark. He reported that the oil analysis was pretty much what it should be although I'm not sure what "should be" means. In any event, he was very pleased with the results and ability of the monitor to work so well. He plans on using the OLM for all his service from now on.

To answer your question about the Ridgeline itself I must say it is the best vehicle I have ever owned. It rides like a sedan, has get up and go and handles these old country road turns without a sway. The interior is roomy (for five) and has many fine features, especially in regards to safety. The cargo trunk and two way tailgate are a big plus.

There are a few problems: gas mileage is between 15-20 but it runs on 86; it is expensive (they deal some but not a whole lot but I understand they are dealing a little more now than when I bought it); the steering wheel is not telescopic and may sit too far forward to be comfortable over a long trip. Looks? Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder; I like it, others do not. But those are the only faults I have found and I can live with them.

There may be unknown pluses too. For example, the trade-in value should be exceptional. Also, if it is like other Hondas, reliability and problem free performance for many, many miles - I hope.

Well, it is a fine inovative vehicle in my opinion for those who want a truck but don't need anything heavy duty or offroad where lo range is requires. It fits a similar nitch at the Crossover SUV's. It provides convenient utility with car like performance. It should fit many lifestyles great.
I look forward to your future postings of your UOA's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back