Overfill jerrycan?

So time to use the pressure washer so took empty 5L wavian brand jerry can to gas station and filled till the meter said 5.00L.
When i looked inside the can it looked like i can get atleast half a liter or more in till its brimmed to the fill hole.
Is the gas station running a scam and giving less gas than the meter says?

How much would it expand? Wouldnt it have already expanded in the gas stations storage tank?

The storage tank is usually underground and much more temputure stable.

So the gas in the stations underground storage tank might be 58F. It might be 80F outside when filling the can.

The gas will expand in the can in that scenario and is why gas cans have a marked full line with room for expansion.

Some cans don't have marks but still have room for expansion. Utility jugs, often used in the off road dirt bike/ATV world are such cans.

All my gas cans are similar. Except my 5gallon eagle cans Those you better put 4.5gal in or it will overflow.

Even my tractor has a safe fill mark on it.. so no you arent being scammed.

Not likely being scammed. These cans are NOT calibrated containers. Like others have said, you need room for expansion, so the extra room is a safety feature.

A calibrated can fills up into a narrow neck, and has a sliding scale graduated in ounces. It also needs to be able to be temperature corrected, but for practical use, fuel is measured at a "nominal" temperature, by volume.

If I use water in a measuring jug and put in 5L into jerrycan will 5L water reach same height as 5L of gas?

If I use water in a measuring jug and put in 5L into jerrycan will 5L water reach same height as 5L of gas?
Yes, it's a volume measure. Just remember that coeficient of expansion is different, so no major temp changes after the fill.

Hmm if i fill gas in car at night when it is cold do i get more gas in the car since its not expanding?

Sure will, only if it was cold the WHOLE month prior. I know your reply was tongue and cheek, but matter in the ground stays relatively the same temperature at given depths (especially how low those are in the ground). Unless that is you have a major change in a sudden fashion.

It’s like me asking if idling an air cooled motor after full load will cause it to increase in temperature vice lowering temperature…..yet you have some here that believe in wive’s or men’s fables….

So time to use the pressure washer so took empty 5L wavian brand jerry can to gas station and filled till the meter said 5.00L.
When i looked inside the can it looked like i can get atleast half a liter or more in till its brimmed to the fill hole.
Is the gas station running a scam and giving less gas than the meter says?
I know this message thread is a little old, but I was looking for information about filling level in Wavian Jerry cans and this was one few I found. I've been using these cans for a few years now and have really been happy with them, but had a really bad experience with them the other day. I use these cans to to hold gasoline that I have de-ethananolized (if that's a real word). Having a bit more gasoline produced than capacity to hold it, I really filled these cans as high as I could. I had no issue with this during the winter and spring. When I opened a can, it would just have slighly negative or neutral pressure in it. However, I opened a couple of these the other day during a long period of high temperatures. The gasoline violently sprayed out them. Straight up into the air, like a fountain. Not just a little spray- quite a bit of fuel. I tried searching for information about this on the internet. I found surprisingly little. The "official" instructions for using these states you should hold a rag over them when opening. There were also a couple of warnings not to over fill them, and a couple of references about only filling them 95%. But what does that mean? Does it mean fill it to 95% of what you can possibly get into it? Or does it mean only put 19 Liters into it (which is 95% of the labeled 20 Liter capacity)? I am going to perform some experiments while we have hot weather, to determine exactly how much should be put into these. However, knowing how well the German's originally engineered these, and how specific the current specifications for these are, I suspect that the answer is going to be exactly 20L. And it may also turn out that this is about 95% of the possible total fill. Looking carefully at these cans, and considering their design, I believe I understand exactly why they can blast gasoline out of them so strongly. If you look at them from the side, you can see that the cans have a high "hump" behind the handles. This hump is considerably higher than the opening. So when you fill gas all the way to the top, you have a pocket of air in it. That's great- it allows for fuel expansion. In warmer temperature it will be under pressure. If the can is not overfilled, that pressure will just push itself out accross top of the gasoline to the spout and blow out as vapor. However, if you have filled the can to the max, there is no open channel between that pressured pocket and the can opening. In fact, the most direct path for that pressure will be to travel through the air vent channel built into the top of the can. Because that channel is filled with gasoline (in a fully filled can), it will get forcibly pushed through that and ejected straight up from opening. Here are a couple photos of a dissected Wavian can where you can see the air vent channel from both top and bottom. I will report back further findings, but for now I would just say that while these cans are capable of holding more, you only want to put 20 Liters of fuel into them and you will see considerable unused volume. But you REALLY need that unused volume when you have warmer conditions. I'm just surprised that there is so little information about this on the internet.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 24
I still overfill them, they go straight home into the garage, and (when I use one) crack them open with the spout end slightly uphill (& spout put on pointing straight up). Haven’t got hosed with gas yet…

Will remember this and only overfill in winter times
I know this message thread is a little old, but I was looking for information about filling level in Wavian Jerry cans and this was one few I found. I've been using these cans for a few years now and have really been happy with them, but had a really bad experience with them the other day. I use these cans to to hold gasoline that I have de-ethananolized (if that's a real word). Having a bit more gasoline produced than capacity to hold it, I really filled these cans as high as I could. I had no issue with this during the winter and spring. When I opened a can, it would just have slighly negative or neutral pressure in it. However, I opened a couple of these the other day during a long period of high temperatures. The gasoline violently sprayed out them. Straight up into the air, like a fountain. Not just a little spray- quite a bit of fuel. I tried searching for information about this on the internet. I found surprisingly little. The "official" instructions for using these states you should hold a rag over them when opening. There were also a couple of warnings not to over fill them, and a couple of references about only filling them 95%. But what does that mean? Does it mean fill it to 95% of what you can possibly get into it? Or does it mean only put 19 Liters into it (which is 95% of the labeled 20 Liter capacity)? I am going to perform some experiments while we have hot weather, to determine exactly how much should be put into these. However, knowing how well the German's originally engineered these, and how specific the current specifications for these are, I suspect that the answer is going to be exactly 20L. And it may also turn out that this is about 95% of the possible total fill. Looking carefully at these cans, and considering their design, I believe I understand exactly why they can blast gasoline out of them so strongly. If you look at them from the side, you can see that the cans have a high "hump" behind the handles. This hump is considerably higher than the opening. So when you fill gas all the way to the top, you have a pocket of air in it. That's great- it allows for fuel expansion. In warmer temperature it will be under pressure. If the can is not overfilled, that pressure will just push itself out accross top of the gasoline to the spout and blow out as vapor. However, if you have filled the can to the max, there is no open channel between that pressured pocket and the can opening. In fact, the most direct path for that pressure will be to travel through the air vent channel built into the top of the can. Because that channel is filled with gasoline (in a fully filled can), it will get forcibly pushed through that and ejected straight up from opening. Here are a couple photos of a dissected Wavian can where you can see the air vent channel from both top and bottom. I will report back further findings, but for now I would just say that while these cans are capable of holding more, you only want to put 20 Liters of fuel into them and you will see considerable unused volume. But you REALLY need that unused volume when you have warmer conditions. I'm just surprised that there is so little information about this on the internet.
I have an update to this. Filling these to the proper level is actually pretty simple. They have the fill marks right on the can. If you look at the 5 Liter and 10 Liter cans, you will see a line just over the volume stamps in the side- that is a full can. The 20 Liter cans have the mark as lines to the right and left of the number. When filled to this level, you will see that the gasoline is just to the very bottom of the spout neck. Now the bad news: I wanted to see if a perfectly filled can would still blow out gasoline- unfortunately it will, but not too severely. I created a worst case situation by closing the can on a cool morning and then placing the it in direct sunlight for a few hours. This created considerable positive pressure in the can, when I opened it, there was some gasoline spraying. However it was not nearly as bad as when I had overfilled the can. I will next try doing this with a 5% under-filled can. Stay tuned...

Back