over dosing ones fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello You All,

I'm getting ready to take my annual trip to Arizona in early December and was wondering regardless of the brand of gas used is it dangerous to over do/dose one gas tank???? I was thinking about adding one bottle of Regaine in the tank going over there and one bottle coming back to Los Angeles. I'm thinking more PEA is better than too little???? I know Regaine is good for 3K but still is it a prudent safe thing to do??

Durango

It is not necessary. I would just run one. Can someone actually pull up any Gumout Regane product that has PEA? Kerosene seems to be the main ingredient. I would order a bottle of Redline SI-1.

Originally Posted By: Durango

I'm getting ready to take my annual trip to Arizona in early December and was wondering regardless of the brand of gas used is it dangerous to over do/dose one gas tank????

Probably not dangerous, but why do it? What are you afraid of?

Originally Posted By: Durango
Hello You All,

I'm getting ready to take my annual trip to Arizona in early December and was wondering regardless of the brand of gas used is it dangerous to over do/dose one gas tank???? I was thinking about adding one bottle of Regaine in the tank going over there and one bottle coming back to Los Angeles. I'm thinking more PEA is better than too little???? I know Regaine is good for 3K but still is it a prudent safe thing to do??

Durango

In my experience, it depends. More PEA may be better for combustion chamber cleaning, but continuous use is better for fuel injector cleaning.

I'd use one good dose.
Then every year or maybe 1/2 year thereafter.
Unless there is an unusual problem, this is all that you should need with modern fuels.
I must note that I use MMO on a regular basis in the fuel.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Regane has no PEA

I looked at a MSDS from 2004 and it lists POLYETHER AMINE 30-40% and the remainder kerosene. A 2009 MSDS only lists Naphthalene 0.1-1.0%, nothing else listed.

Unless you are certain of a problem caused by dirty injectors that your are trying to resolve, I'd use one bottle during your trip. Having tried all of the products mentioned above my first choice would be Redline SI-1.

Agree with above.
I'd avoid overdosing with any fuel additive, it usually shows up as high lead in your next UOA.

Hi you all,

Every other year my buddy and I take turns driving to AZ so this year is my turn. One year ago I had to spend some money to have my valves worked on cuz one or more of them was gunked up with deposits. This year I figure I could heavily dose my gas and give my engine a good gallop on the highway to clean my valves and internals. In addition I could burn out all the old gas and put in a fresh tank full as my truck onlt gets a modest amount of street and freeway driving on the weekends only. I figure Regane would be strong enough to handle the job.

Durango

Are you the same gentleman who had "my engine blew up" attributed to using fuel system cleaner year or two ago? You had been pretty adamant that the said cleaner caused those problems. Are you going to use the same brand or going to try something different this time?

If you thought one brand of cleaner caused you all that headache, wouldn't you rather stay away from all type of cleaners?

Or have you changed your mind now and decided that you had erroneously blamed the cleaner for your engine problem.

- Vikas

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas
Are you the same gentleman who had "my engine blew up" attributed to using fuel system cleaner year or two ago? You had been pretty adamant that the said cleaner caused those problems. Are you going to use the same brand or going to try something different this time?

If you thought one brand of cleaner caused you all that headache, wouldn't you rather stay away from all type of cleaners?

Or have you changed your mind now and decided that you had erroneously blamed the cleaner for your engine problem.

- Vikas

Vikas,

lets not dig up old dirt again. My engines running good and just want to take care of the engine. If you can refer me to another brand of cleaner then I wouldn't mid trying it BUT in it's basic form......aren't they the same? Anyway just trying to move on with a solid intelligent question.

Durango

Good brand of fuel system cleaners (not in any specific order) (and you do want to stick with fuel system cleaners and not fuel injector cleaners; FI cleaners are not potent enough)

3M, Techron, Redline, Regane, BG44K

I have used all of them in the past. At one time or other, they all have worked for me. However, they don't always work. If that happens, I use another one next time. I also do not use it unless I think I need it. To put it another way, if the vehicle is running absolutely great, I will skip it.

Techron and Regane are easiest and cheapest to obtain as they are available widely and can be found on sale often.

Currently, I have stock of Techron, 3M and Regane. I have not used Redline in a decade. I have just ordered a bottle from Amazon. I also have stash of Seafoam and Berryman but I usually keep for my OPE engines. Rest of you stash oil; I hoard FSC :)

Usually if I am taking a long distance trip, I keep a bottle in the trunk. If I feel I "need" it during the trip, I use it. The need is determined by the totally unscientific method of :- "hey, I just filled the tank and I don't think my throttle response is as good as it was before filling it".

- Vikas

Last edited:
If you are looking for a slow steady fuel system clean and lube, I'd look at LCD products mentioned above.
I use their FP+ regularly and have zero fuel issues.

Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
If you are looking for a slow steady fuel system clean and lube, I'd look at LCD products mentioned above.
I use their FP+ regularly and have zero fuel issues.

+1

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Good brand of fuel system cleaners (not in any specific order) (and you do want to stick with fuel system cleaners and not fuel injector cleaners; FI cleaners are not potent enough)

3M, Techron, Redline, Regane, BG44K

I have used all of them in the past. At one time or other, they all have worked for me. However, they don't always work. If that happens, I use another one next time. I also do not use it unless I think I need it. To put it another way, if the vehicle is running absolutely great, I will skip it.

Techron and Regane are easiest and cheapest to obtain as they are available widely and can be found on sale often.

Currently, I have stock of Techron, 3M and Regane. I have not used Redline in a decade. I have just ordered a bottle from Amazon. I also have stash of Seafoam and Berryman but I usually keep for my OPE engines. Rest of you stash oil; I hoard FSC :)

Usually if I am taking a long distance trip, I keep a bottle in the trunk. If I feel I "need" it during the trip, I use it. The need is determined by the totally unscientific method of :- "hey, I just filled the tank and I don't think my throttle response is as good as it was before filling it".

- Vikas

Vikas,

Thank you for your reply. My sole goal is to drive on the highway and using Reagne or Techron allow the gas to self clean the valves itself during spirited driving to AZ.. Out here in California/Los Angeles the prices for gas has come down but were still paying a high price compared to last year. Perhaps I'll use one bottle going and one coming back.

Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back