Over 60 MPGs on PP 0w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP- these guys are just flaming you because it wasn't done with their holy grail oil Mobil 1... ;)

I love the Pennzoil syns and find them to be MUCH quieter and perform better in every vehicle I put it in vs M1. I also notice better MPG's when using it even over an entire OCI and not just short trips like you've done.
And the thin oil Phobia running rampant here on Pennz Platinum 5w30. :ROFLMAO:

Yes, using Common Core math.
Now that is funny!

Seriously, though (with regard to this thread topic), I never even consider, let alone calculate, MPG in my cars. The greatest predictor of fuel economy, IMO, is the driver. My wife typically pushes hard to get pole position at every stoplight. I, OTOH, am perfectly fine with the frequent sign language from other drivers who think I drive to slow. And my MPG is quite possibly greater than my wife's MPG, but I will never criticize her wastefulness. That would go down a rabbit hole I'm not yet ready for...

In case I veered off topic, PP is great oil and likely allows at least as good MPG as any others. And the current $25 rebate is awesome.

Last edited:
They say the biggest improvement you can get on miles per gallon never come usually from oil but from the transmission. In most cars the most to be gained comes from using top quality aftermarket or boutique transmission fluids. Most power and energy is lost at the flywheel
If most power is lost at the flywheel, then the transmission wouldn't make much difference as it's downstream of the flywheel or flexplate.

However as someone who has run relatively sophisticated spin loss tests with Himmelstein torquemeters on both input and output of transmissions, viscosity is viscosity. And spin loss is definitely influenced by viscosity. There's no magic to be found in other parts of the gearbox lube. So the only way your "top quality aftermarket or boutique fluid" is going to produce less spin loss is if it's got less viscosity than the OEM stuff.

I've used TGMO 0W-20 and Pennzoil 5W-20 almost exclusively in my Prius, and can't detect any difference in fuel consumption or anything else about the way the engine performs.
Over 60 mpg, or even over 70 is no trick in a Prius C.

Never under estimate the tricks the human mind can play on a person.

Or the ways Mobil 1 cult followers here refuse to accept the reality that many people could do as good as, or better than them with PP.

My mind isn't "playing tricks on me". I'm surprised you'd make such a blanket remark.
Wow, some of you full timers here are really hard to get along with. Well, I'm thankful for the "ignore" option here.
But seriously, some of you cult followers really aren't worth tuning in to on this forum and I don't plan to.

I told you what my MPGs were on 3 short road trips and you can take it for what you will.
It seems to me that I'm getting slightly better MPGs, and there's a good chance I am, whether the M1 cultists want to acknowledge it or not..

Last edited:
Or the ways Mobil 1 cult followers here refuse to accept the reality that many people could do as good as, or better than them with PP.

My mind isn't "playing tricks on me". I'm surprised you'd make such a blanket remark.
Wow, some of you full timers here are really hard to get along with. Well, I'm thankful for the "ignore" option here.
But seriously, some of you cult followers really aren't worth tuning in to on this forum and I don't plan to.

I told you what my MPGs were on 3 short road trips and you can take it for what you will.
It seems to me that I'm getting slightly better MPGs, and there's a good chance I am, whether the M1 cultists want to acknowledge it or not..
It's not about brand, it never was. It's about simple physics. "Cult followers" are not the ones that are unable to accept reality here.

But of course since I'm on ignore (as are probably others in this thread), you'll never read responses that correct your misconceptions and misunderstandings so the attempts at side shows such as "M1 cultists" will continue.

You couldn't be more correct, it literally is a "cult like" thing with these guys on here that refuse to believe there is any oil better than Mobil 1. Multiple times over the years I've been on here, random guys have came on and posted negative things about M1 and they get attacked like a pitbull on a cat. Sure M1 USED to be a great product, but the last decade or so it has become run-of-the-mill walmart oil. ExxonMobil is the worlds largest group of profit driven crooks yet these guys think and swear this oil is the holy grail and has everything needed in it including unicorn tears and fairy dust. It really cracks me up and has become a joke to me just to get their feathers fluffed. :)
Do you know anything at all about the physics behind oil grade and fuel economy? Or do you just like to spout your goofy anti-brand screed in every thread you can regardless of the complete absence of anything technical?

Cult followers? Just more gibberish and gobbledygook like your liver thread.

I changed my oil to PP 0w20 last Friday (from ST FS 0w20) and I seem to be getting more MPGs.
The warmer weather here also helps with that but I don't remember ever getting over 60 MPGs consistently.

Drove 17 miles yesterday : 63.3 MPGs
Drove two 17 mile trips today, over 60 MPGs each way.

But whatever, I love how the PP makes my engine purr so smoothly.
It's in your head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back