Over 50- I now understand why advertisers/ marketers don't like me

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Posting this topic in the humor thread, I suppose this thread could also fit elsewhere.

Over 50- I now understand why advertisers/ marketers don't like me.

It has been suggested advertisers target certain age demographic; advertisers don't necessarily target people who have discretionary monies. This crossed my mind reading an article earlier today that Victoria Secret was laying off 140 management executives at their Ohio headquarters. I never shopped at VS, but their stores were eye catching to me years ago walking through a mall. I suspect if I walked through a mall today, a VS store would not be eye catching.

In my late 50's, the only things I care to think about buying are housing, home improvements, vehicle stuff, tools, food, and stuff for my grandsons like bikes. I no longer care about clothes, vacations, electronics, etc. I had a hasty out of state trip last weekend and didn't have time to pack clothes. After landing, I went to COSTCO and bought whatever clothes I needed. I purchased blue jeans that had an instant rebate for $9.99 jeans (with rebate), same for socks, shorts, shirts.

Guess I am giving advertisers a thumbs up for not investing a lot of time, energy, or money on guys over 50.....

Last edited:
The advertisers know a grown man isn't swayed easily, tends to think about purchases more & longer than the young impulse buyer.
Maybe the impulsive area of the brain shrinks over decades?
Or it could be the : 'YOU are not going to tell me what to buy!' Oldster Gene. lol.

The advertisers know a grown man isn't swayed easily, tends to think about purchases more & longer than the young impulse buyer.
Maybe the impulsive area of the brain shrinks over decades?
Or it could be the : 'YOU are not going to tell me what to buy!' Oldster Gene. lol.
We had a work teambuilding event seven or so years ago while at a work conference in January, in Atlantic City. Part of an evening social was everyone was required to wear red pants. The reason the "boss" chose a red pants theme, was when he attended the war college, a French military officer would wear loud colored pants like red pants, and at first the boss thought it was tacky, but the French officer's choice in pant colors wore favorable on him over time.

I went to what was reported to be the largest thrift shop in Pennsylvania to shop for red pants. Think I paid $4 for the pants. Most of my peers bought red pants new and paid a pretty penny. I am on average 12-15 years older than a majority of my peers. Their red pants definitely looked nicer than the ones I was wearing, and I couldn't wait to change out of the red pants. My guess, my peers never wore their red pants again, and their red pants ended up in a thrift store.

What if an employee would have politely told the boss, I'm not going out of my way and spending money on pants I will only wear once.
One can do that, or even blown off the event. In my line of work being a team player and supporting the boss as long as its ethically and morally sound (and no one is going to get hurt) is a good thing to do.

Wait til you turn 65.
They love you ! Joe Namath, George Foreman, JJ Walker, the list will grow as the years pass and Medicare becomes more of a football and fight than it all ready is.
What? I thought everybody wanted to know about the medicare give back benefit. I'm gonna get what's owed to me....

the only things I care to think about buying are housing, home improvements, vehicle stuff, tools,
I'm a good bit farther around the block than you and don't care much about that stuff anymore. Got more than I need. Yep, the thing that excites me most now is finding the bathroom at night.

nocturia.jpg

I'm a good bit farther around the block than you and don't care much about that stuff anymore. Got more than I need. Yep, the thing that excites me most now is finding the bathroom at night.

View attachment 108081
And I am really excited if I don't stub my toe on the footboard of my bed on the way there. I fractured and dislocated a toe just a couple of weeks ago headed to the bathroom in the dark. Being an old soldier I just put in back in place, taped it up and finished my business. Thankful I didn't pee myself when it happened.

I still find VS eye catching, but for different reasons than in my younger years. These days I am less interested in the staff and more interested in the MILFs entering and leaving the store...
Not so many years ago I would purchase my Wife pajamas, or a robe at VS. The items were super pricey, but VS had a real nice box to put the items in. As a birthday gift, it would present well. The quality wasn't exceptional, but good enough.

The last two times I went to VS (over five years ago), all I saw was cheap Chinese made stuff, super expensive, and not anything I would want to present to my Wife as a gift. It was actually a turn off to see the junk they were selling, at monster big prices. Paying $250 a nice silk pajama is ok for a Wife for a very special occasion. Paying $325 for synthetic silk (artificial) Chinese made pajamas is a no go for me. I imagine VS paid under $5 for those artificial silk Chinese made pajamas that they sell for $325. Like I say, young guys may fall for it, but old guys not so much. I imagine VS still has nice boxes and bags to put the Chinese made junk they sell into. So, VS likely still has that going for itself......

What if an employee would have politely told the boss, I'm not going out of my way and spending money on pants I will only wear once.
One time my boss called me into the office and had me sit down only to tell me he knew I wasn't intimated by his authority and I was good at what I did. I could only responded I know.

Victoria Secret was laying off 140 management executives at their Ohio headquarters. I never shopped at VS, but their stores were eye catching to me years ago walking through a mall. I suspect if I walked through a mall today, a VS store would not be eye catching.
I am turning 60 in a few weeks, and VS will ALWAYS be eye catching to me. Heck yeah!!

Back