Outdoor rated power strip needed?

We have a side porch on our house that has a GFIC outlet. It not screened but there is sufficient overhang where rain cannot come in unless driven by very high winds. We have furniture on it and want to use it more as the weather permits. Currently have a tv plugged directly into the GFIC outlet. Want to have more plugs available for use. The question is do I need to have an outdoor rated power strip that will be plugging directly into the remaining GFIC outlet or will the GFIC outlet give me ample protection from any possible moisture, etc. and a standard indoor power strip will suffice?

I would get an outdoor type. such as this (not this one specifically)

61iNb3G9+BL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Your fine with whatever you plug in. The GFI would protect you against shock.
Nothing wrong with a heavy duty cord and surge suppressor as others mention but its the GFIC that is going to protect you and the cord is not laying in the dirt of a high traffic area.

Last edited:
I'd get something like the above too, and make sure to mount it where the outlets are always facing down, and install covers in any that are un-used. No since in letting gravity help the water short something out.

Separate issues . The GFCI will protect you regardless of what type you plug in . Anything you use should be outdoor rated and the receptacles should be shielded from rain .

The the outdoor rated green ext cords and outlets should be in stores for holidays. your local ACO carries them year round give them some business.

Separate issues . The GFCI will protect you regardless of what type you plug in . Anything you use should be outdoor rated and the receptacles should be shielded from rain .
AS I posted I agree, the GFCI gives him complete protection. Other then that I see no reason for an outdoor extension cord plugged into a TV and other stuff on his porch. They are not outdoor equipment.
Furthermore "outdoor" extension cords are nothing more then a bit more robust cord that can take constant wear and tear such as being walked on ect. They are not waterproof anymore then an indoor, zero, nothing.
One post in here does show a waterproof box, now that is in a different league and definitely useful of you are concerned about water and electricity which you dont have to be with a GFCI and a place mostly shielded from rain, so much so there is a TV there.

Back