Outboard oil safe to use in lawn mower?

I have about 6 quarts of old, unopened Mercury Marine 10W-30 4 cycle outboard motor oil laying around, do nat have an outboard that uses that anymore. The riding mower is due for an oil change soon and uses 10W-30, it's a new Kawasaki 18.5 hp engine in it.

Can I use the outboard oil safely in the lawn mower? Are there any benefits or drawbacks to using the outboard oil in a small engine?

Last oil change I ran Rotella T5 10W-30 in the mower but I figure since I have this 10W-30 laying around, may as well use it rather than let it go to waste, if it's safe to do so. Otherwise, I'll just go buy some more Rotella.

You could sell the oil on CL and then buy some T5 and make money in the process.
The Mercury Marine branded oil isn't cheap.
If you don't need the hassle, use it in the Kaw.
As good as anything else.

I agree with the others here.
However, if the Mercury Marine 10W30 is for any/whatever reason, is a NON Detergent oil, then I wouldn't use it. Otherwise, use it.

Outboard motor oils are amongst the best lubricants available anywhere, so you won't have a problem running the Merc oil in your mower, but the question I would be asking is don't you have another application that could use that oil? Even if only as top-off oil in your vehicle? Seems a waste to use in the tractor, in my opinion.

Now I have to know!....

Approximately how much does this Mercury Marine 10W-30 cost per quart?

....just so we know how must wasted value we're trying to avoid.

I am all for saving $ but transport-to-buyer alone will probably eat the marine oil's premium.

Now that I've read others responses, the Mercury Marine 10W30 may actually be better suited to the Lincoln or the Focus ST in the OP's signature.

I have an old gallon jug of mercury marine 25w40. Does that mean it's a high zddp HDEO and I can run it in any air cooled engine?

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
I have an old gallon jug of mercury marine 25w40. Does that mean it's a high zddp HDEO and I can run it in any air cooled engine?

Yep, marine oils are some of the most robust oils on the planet. They are exceptional, and work well in outdoor power equipment. I have about 10 or 15 quarts of clearance marine oil in my shed for my small engines.

OP, yes, that oil will do your Kawasaki good. You got a couple years worth of oil changes there, with a fine oil.

Originally Posted by RyanY
I thought it was best to use the oil designed for the purpose, as described at the link below. Is that all hype or is there truth to that suggestion?

https://stores.dhsequipmentparts.com/blog/2cycle-engine-oil-vs-outboard-engine-oil/

Your link is about 2 cycle oil. The OP posted "Mercury Marine 10W-30 4 cycle outboard motor oil" , 2 cycle outboard motor oil is not 4 cycle outboard motor oil

Originally Posted by FastGame
I thought it was best to use the oil designed for the purpose, as described at the link below. Is that all hype or is there truth to that suggestion?

https://stores.dhsequipmentparts.com/blog/2cycle-engine-oil-vs-outboard-engine-oil/

Your link is about 2 cycle oil. The OP posted "Mercury Marine 10W-30 4 cycle outboard motor oil" , 2 cycle outboard motor oil is not 4 cycle outboard motor oil

Sorry I was thinking of my recent 2 cycle conversation as I was scrolling through these posts. Thanks for pointing that out.

Originally Posted by bubbatime

Since we are posting articles that have NOTHING at all to do with the question asked by the original poster, here is my contribution:
https://healthtop.news/what-is-the-difference-between-italian-meatballs-and-swedish-meatballs/

Thanks for that...

Marine 2 cycle oil is for water cooled engines.

OPE 2 cycle oil is for AIR cooled engines - which run much hotter and warm up a lot faster.

Oils are formulated for specific purposes. If one oil could fit all we would have 3n1 oil in everything.

Answer is do not run marine oil in any OPE.

slomo

Last edited:
I use the standard oil that was recommended to me when I bought the tractor. I have been using this tractor for 10 years now, and my lawn is in perfect condition and looks great thanks to this tractor. I even won a competition in my city as the most beautiful and well-groomed lawn. You can try the Kawasaki PO2 oil is also good, I used it for a certain period of time, but it was too expensive, and in my opinion it doesn't cost that much money to give on it, because if you compare the oil I use and the Kawasaki, mine is also very good and doesn't make any problems.
Huh ?

Back