Out with the S2000, in with the... Ferrari...

Nice car! Always thought the 308 was the best looking Ferrari "ever"...

Love this guy's channel on YouTube... He just purchased a 308 and he's big into reliability. -

Nice car! Always thought the 308 was the best looking Ferrari "ever"...

Love this guy's channel on YouTube... He just purchased a 308 and he's big into reliability. -

Love the Wizard (and Tyler). He really seems like a decent guy and I enjoy his approach to fixing automobiles... very data driven and practical. I had just given up looking for a 308 when he got his, made me jealous that he has a GTB, too. But I'm glad to see him fixing it up, it is worth preserving (and I'm sure he knows that).

hope you have a great F mechanic...
I plan to do most of the work myself, really, just like I always have. The 308 is pretty simple and well documented. But Houston has quite a few good Ferrari mechanics, too, if I need them!

hope you have a great F mechanic...
This is one of those Ferrari things that I was just never able to do the math on.

It is said that having a non-Ferrari shop work on your Ferrari diminishes the value - but doesn't Ferrari service cost thousands a year?

I guess it would depend on what is tax-deductible in your case, depreciation or maintenance.

With some of the cars, I'm not sure it matters either way.

For a fancy, pedigreed car, it probably makes sense to use special shops and maintain records in detail. My car is not pedigreed in any way and I don't have records past 2016 or whatever was handed to me by the guy I bought it from. And, in any case, I don't care and probably couldn't afford to own it if I didn't do at least some of the work myself.

Congratulations it looks great. What are the ergonomics like especially for taller folks like 6'1"?

Congratulations it looks great. What are the ergonomics like especially for taller folks like 6'1"?
Not good, I'm afraid. Famously, Tom Selleck is 6'4" and could not fit in the 308 in Magnum, p.i. I'm only 5'10" or so, and it's a tight fit with the t-top on.

The OP has a Ferrari that he won't be afraid to put the miles on. The technology the car is based on is very regular. It probably is hardly more than two Fiat 124 twincam engines spliced-together (though it has 4 valves per cylinder) and it has standard Bosch port-injected FI. That car is NOT intimidating when it comes to working on it.

Now if it had an F1 transmission like the 348 and later had, up to including at least the 430 - that'd be a bit different, even though I would not be afraid to tackle that either....

The OP has a Ferrari that he won't be afraid to put the miles on. The technology the car is based on is very regular. It probably is hardly more than two Fiat 124 twincam engines spliced-together (though it has 4 valves per cylinder) and it has standard Bosch port-injected FI. That car is NOT intimidating when it comes to working on it.

Now if it had an F1 transmission like the 348 and later had, up to including at least the 430 - that'd be a bit different, even though I would not be afraid to tackle that either....

You nailed it, really. It's pretty simple machine. And interestingly, a lot of the parts are fairly common. Much of the electrical system is Bosch in origin, for example, as if the FI (as you pointed out). And the 308 community has explored every inch of the car over the last 36+ years; it is well documented, well known. There should be very few surprises.

If you're curious, go browse parts for it here; IMHO, they're more than reasonable: https://www.awitalian.com/product-category/make/ferrari/ferrari-308-qv/

When watching Magnum reruns, the car seemed to perform a lot better than whatever the bad guys were driving. And I'm talking about handling.
Only with Magnum driving. T.C. wrecked one of the Ferraris in one episode. Mac didn't appear to be able to even start the car correctly in the episode, "Did You See the Sunrise?".

Not good, I'm afraid. Famously, Tom Selleck is 6'4" and could not fit in the 308 in Magnum, p.i. I'm only 5'10" or so, and it's a tight fit with the t-top on.
The car doubles in the cool factor with the roof off.

I remember hearing one in my youth and learning about flat plane crank shaft engines.
Enjoy.
I finally got used to the 308 enough (and trusted it enough) to get into the throttle a bit this morning and hit redline in first and second. It definitely makes some great noises. The NSX sounds real good at 8200rpm, though! Once I work through some of the basic maintenance stuff, I should make some comparison videos because, well, why not.

Back