Out with the S2000, in with the... Ferrari...

I decided that between the S2000, NSX, and SC400, I had too many reliable, fun cars and I needed to spice things up a bit with some Italian style. I've been lusting after Ferrari 308s for a long time and finally decided I should take a look for one earlier this year. Unfortunately, car market what it is, I just couldn't pull the trigger; everything I found was $80K+ and that's just a lot of money to spend on a car.

I enjoy a good BaT auction as much as anyone, and 308s pop up there pretty regularly. One popped up in early July[1], no reserve. It was not real well presented. I didn't think much of it until the day the auction ended. A buddy of mine jokingly asked me if I was going to be bidding; I said no, of course, there aren't any deals on BaT and I wasn't really looking for 308s anymore. But I pulled the auction up and the car was sitting pretty low, so I thought, "I'll pay attention to this..." And so I did, and ultimately I decided that I'd throw out one strong bid. And that bid ended up winning the auction!!!

The car arrived yesterday. I think it's in pretty decent shape. It needs a timing belt, but that's a pretty easy bit of work on these cars. It's got a few electrical issues to sort out, but again that's usually not real hard on these. The 308 community is amazing and there really isn't much that isn't well known and well discussed, which is great.

Looking forward to doing some maintenance on it and then enjoying it. I'll be putting M1 0W-40 in the engine and Red Line 75W-90NS in the transmission, since this is BITOG and I'm sure people will wonder :) The oil filter on these is kind of interesting. There is a "stand pipe" in the middle that allows it to be removed without spilling much oil. I'll be using a Baldwin B253.

I sold the S2000; my wife assured me that I didn't need to, but it just made sense. It's a wonderful car, but I just didn't drive it much. And I don't think having a 308 in the mix will encourage me to drive it more. Someone else is enjoying it now!

1626610077074.jpg

1626610374584.jpg

P.S. Please, no Magnum references... I've already heard about 10,000 of them!!! JK, go for it, really!

---
[1] https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1985-ferrari-308-gts-quattrovalvole-13/

Looks great but aren't the later models not much more in price and and a lot less maintenance intensive? https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2004-ferrari-360-modena-13-2/ Not to mention performance. A ten year old Camry or Accord is quicker than an 80's Ferrari.

I don't believe the 360 is any less maintenance intensive; they require the same basic set of maintenance. The 308/328 is regarded as a pretty reliable vehicle once sorted. I don't really like the 360; I looked at them and they just don't do it for me. Performance really isn't the objective with these cars, obviously. Also the one you linked is an F1 (automatic) car; you'll find the 6-speed 360s to be much more expensive (~100K or so).

Looks great but aren't the later models not much more in price and a lot less maintenance intensive? https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2004-ferrari-360-modena-13-2/ Not to mention performance. A ten year old Camry or Accord is quicker than an 80's Ferrari.

Did you think that maybe he wanted a 308? Hint here:
I've been lusting after Ferrari 308s for a long time and finally decided I should take a look for one earlier this year.

Congrats!

208/308 GTB/GTS is one of the most beautiful Ferraris, period.

Did you consider fitting a Euro front bumper?

ps:
A 308, not to mention a late-model Quattrovalvole, ist still quicker than any Camry or Accord both on paper and on pavement. There is no comparison.

I could be wrong here, but the 308 doesn't need engine removal for timing belt changes... and I believe a clutch as well can be changed without engine removal. Now it may be that it is the Ferrari 348 and the 355 that require engine-out, and the 360 can be done in-situ (i.e. the timing belt changes). Moot, in any case.

I think the 308 is a pretty regular car to maintain, tho the electrical system is not stellar. I think the fusebox can be a prb that requires an upgrade.

Re Ferrari's, the gearbox has to be "nursed" to full operating temp as particularly 2nd gear can be notchy when cold. Notchy=wear... so many experts recommend going from first gear to third gear 'til it's at operating temp. Or, start in 2nd, on a down grade and go from there.

I recommend double-clutching downshifts, particularly into 2nd gear... and certainly the sounds produced doing this will be cool.

Yeah, performance is mild... but you will have a certain "presence" with your F car... and they're cool. A 308 won't break the bank to keep going.

I could be wrong here, but the 308 doesn't need engine removal for timing belt changes... and I believe a clutch as well can be changed without engine removal. Now it may be that it is the Ferrari 348 and the 355 that require engine-out, and the 360 can be done in-situ (i.e. the timing belt changes). Moot, in any case.

I think the 308 is a pretty regular car to maintain, tho the electrical system is not stellar. I think the fusebox can be a prb that requires an upgrade.

Re Ferrari's, the gearbox has to be "nursed" to full operating temp as particularly 2nd gear can be notchy when cold. Notchy=wear... so many experts recommend going from first gear to third gear 'til it's at operating temp. Or, start in 2nd, on a down grade and go from there.

I recommend double-clutching downshifts, particularly into 2nd gear... and certainly the sounds produced doing this will be cool.

Yeah, performance is mild... but you will have a certain "presence" with your F car... and they're cool. A 308 won't break the bank to keep going.
My friend has a 328 . I have done the timing belts, the valves replaced all the hoses and rubber adjusted the valves got the FI working, Redid the A/C. They are not that hard to work on and the engine is Mounted like a FWD drive car. I think they are beautiful cars. Disappointing in ever aspect. My F150 is more fun to drive.

Yup, they're hugely maintainable. Nothing real fancy, certainly nothing I haven't seen before. Like any car, certain things are more work than others. But overall, they don't seem tough to work on or maintain. Heck, in some ways, they may be easier. I look forward to experiencing it all, though hopefully not at once!

Thanks for all the positive vibes (and, surprisingly, a few negative ones, but I'll take those, too)!

Back