Out of these oils:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which would you choose. I put M1 in my profile because I was leaning closer toward`s that,but haven`t done my oci yet. Almost did it the other day,but got too busy with other things. Here`s my choices:

M1 15W50
RP 20W50
RP 15W40
Pennzoil yb 10W40

I have all of these in my small stash,and will be doing it here very soon. Im on around 3200 or so miles on the current RP. I`m one of those 3/3k guys,basically because I drive VERY short trips every day. I get the RP for $6 a quart,so I`m not spending lots of $$ on it. The RP is definitely the smoothest running oil of the bunch. My car`s engine really "likes" this oil.

Out of that group: RP15W-40 especially at that price.

I wouldnt use PYB 10w-40 as there are too many VI's in that for my liking. Obviously you know that your owner's manual calls for 10-30.

I say whatever you can get for the least amount of money.
Looks like in this case PYB?

If that's one of the models that has a real oil temperature gauge, you can buy the oil that is still performing at the worst you have ever seen. In our climates you cant really buy the "wrong" oil, but you can be overkilling and throwing money away.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Which would you choose. I put M1 in my profile because I was leaning closer toward`s that,but haven`t done my oci yet. Almost did it the other day,but got too busy with other things. Here`s my choices:

M1 15W50
RP 20W50
RP 15W40
Pennzoil yb 10W40

I have all of these in my small stash,and will be doing it here very soon. Im on around 3200 or so miles on the current RP. I`m one of those 3/3k guys,basically because I drive VERY short trips every day. I get the RP for $6 a quart,so I`m not spending lots of $$ on it. The RP is definitely the smoothest running oil of the bunch. My car`s engine really "likes" this oil.

If your car likes the oil it is running now why change?

Any of those oils will do the job, but if you are just "putting around" and the oil does not get up to operating temperature...I see no need for the Xw50. Since you already own it go ahead and use it up, but I would consider a 10w30 or 15w40 HDEO once you've exhausted your current supply.

Not the PYB. If that engine needs a sae 50 then its got a problem - unless your racing it hard. Thats GL-5 diff lube thickness! I would look for the LOWEST viscosity that has a HTHS >3.5. That was M1 HM 10w-30 but they changed the formula and dont know if its worth it anymore. Whats the highest sump temp you anticipate?

I'd save the M1 for the cooler weather of 'winter' down there (yeah, I know its not real cold)

I'd give the YB 10W-40 a go for a short run, just to see how it does - I don't think you've run a dino 10W-40 throught the engine, have you?

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
If your car likes the oil it is running now why change?

^^Right on Hemi! I ended up going with the RP 15W40. I know I probably wasted good oil draining the previous fill at 3200 miles. I filled up a jelly jar full of it (so I can have a sample to send to Blackstone as soon as my kit gets here do do my very 1st uoa) and it`s still a clear purple color. Looks almost brand new.

For your short OCI I would use PYB as my choice of oil. I personally would never run a major brand synthetic for less than 7500 miles or one year on a well maintained engine.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Why such heavy weights? Check to see if Water Wetter causes corrosion.

x2??

does that Nissan NEED as 50w
21.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
The RP is definitely the smoothest running oil of the bunch. My car`s engine really "likes" this oil.
Other than the engine running smoother (by that I presume you mean more quietly), how do you gauge your engine "liking" this oil better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back