Out of shape tyres

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi.
Both of the front tires are out of shape. it is easily detectable even by non-trained eye when spinning.
But when they are balanced, there is no Vibration.
The issue is they are getting out of balance so fast.
is it is due to uneven wear, (because of being out of shape)?
I also marked both tyre and the rim, to see if the wheels are spinning within the tyre during heavy braking.

I actually want to replace them. But they are Bridgestone tyres and have the best brake performance i have ever seen. Now i cant find any top brands with 185/70/r13
Only chinese brands are available. So waiting for a while

Last edited:
This doesn't make sense. A tire that is not round is never going to roll smooth no matter how much you balance it.

Going out of balance could be because a balance weight fell off.

If your tire mechanic is putting weights in more than one place on each side of the rim, he's doing it wrong and you really should find someone else.

Finding any tire in 13 inch is difficult these days but they are still made. I doubt that waiting will improve that situation, you need to actively search.

Change your tire place. They are trying to sell you stuff.
A tire out of the round(more than a tiny bit) can not be balanced, so that
it does not jump or wobble on the balancing machine. Only rims can be adjusted(again within reason).
A deformed tire can not be straightened from the rim. Think about it.

Hi. Thanks for detailed replies.
Now i am no more in dilemma. i just have to find new tires regardless how difficult it is
smile.gif

Out of round tires can be shaved if they have enough tread so they roll smooth. They get out of round usually from sitting flat or under inflated for an extended time.

First, the OP in not in the US.

Second, tire vibrations occur in the 50 to 70 mph range (80 to 115 kph). Unless you go that speed, an out of round (or out of balance) tire won't be felt.

Third, road irregularities can make it difficult to sense a tire vibration.

Given the tire size, I'm guessing an older vehicle - another reason to suspect that the problem is one of perception.

I wonder if the tires are separating. That would explain why the balance continually goes bad, but there isn't a large vibration.

OTOH, you'd think that anyone balancing the tires would notice a bulge and realize the tire was separating - but then again, maybe not!

Hi.
Today i have bought a pair Lassa tyres. Turkey made. They are known for having decent quality.
Firstly we removed the old tyres and inspected the rims on the balance machine, while spinning. They looked quite in shape.
Then installed tyres to the rim. And the balance machine showed 0/0.
But when i had a test drive, it was still shaking very badly at 100km/h. Steering wheel was shaking also.
New tyres are in the front end and old tyres are in the rear end. we inspected the rear tyres also. they were in good shape and in balance.
Car is front wheel driving. Now searching for the culprit...

Last edited:
So, first some diagnostic work:

Rotate the tires front to rear. If it is tires and/or wheels, the vibration should move from the steering wheel to the seat back. If it does, then the wheels are likely round of round. You might be able to compensate by rotating those new tires 90° relative to the wheels.

If the vibration doesn't move, then it is something else. Might be CV joints.

But what isn't explained by any of this is why the old tires would be OK and later go out of balance. It's a puzzlement.

Originally Posted by CapriRacer
So, first some diagnostic work:

Rotate the tires front to rear. If it is tires and/or wheels, the vibration should move from the steering wheel to the seat back. If it does, then the wheels are likely round of round. You might be able to compensate by rotating those new tires 90° relative to the wheels.

If the vibration doesn't move, then it is something else. Might be CV joints.

But what isn't explained by any of this is why the old tires would be OK and later go out of balance. It's a puzzlement.

Hi. Thanks for response.

After first unsuccessful balance procedure today, i went somewhere else to have them balanced. The machine showed 15/25 for one front wheel, and 0/25 for the other. May be previous balance machine was not working properly.
New weights were put.
Rear tyres were balanced too.
Now the vibration is significantly eliminated. I can drive at 110km/h without any vibration.
But when i hit the 120km/h, there is still mild vibration. But still i am very happy
smile.gif

Because for a while i believed that i will never be able to smoothly drive at above 80km/h

Now the next goal would be to eliminate that mild vibration also
Thanks all for support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back