Out of my top 4, give me two to pick between.

Just My Opinion but would go with the 08-09 LaCrosse Super Had an 09 and did 130,000 Miles with Nothing but Gas, Tires Oil .. 1 set of Brake Pads and Fluid Flush at 80,000 ..

It took me awhile to learn this, but hold off for a little bit and see what you’ll actually need. Took me 5 years and 5 vehicles, I am officially done buying cars!!!* My life has changed so much in such a short period of time. I went from single and care free, to in a relationship but still no real responsibilities, to being a father and homeowner in a year, and a husband to my now wife a year later.... can’t pull out of my own driveway you could say.

You do NOT want your sole vehicle to be a project of any kind. You need something reliable, so out of your list I’d go with Option 3. You may find yourself wishing you had a truck/van, or whatever vehicle suits your needs after working for a bit.

*wife wants a truck, so that’ll happen eventually because she is my queen and I spoil her

Last edited:
I also plan to work full time as an electrician or plumber, so I need something I can put tools in and get dirty and not feel too horrible about it. That won't be an issue at all with the cargo space of the wagons, but the F-body or LaX I'll probably be able to make do between the back seats and hatch area.

Now is THIS is an ultimate criteria,I would suggest a nice van. It will have plenty on hauling room plus it's an enclosed vehicle and will keep your tools and such secured.

I always seem confused on these posts. Graduate college then become plumber or electrician.. both good trades..curious as to your degree? Will you have to repay college while juggling a dream car and day to day life?

With that said, extended cab pickup does it all for you. Big subwoofers behind the seat, and a bed to haul your tools etc. No sense co-mingling business and pleasure.

Out of those I'd go with the wagon. Whatever is cheap to buy, fix, insure. That said, I'd probably go even cheaper, at least until you are established in your job. If necessary, do the bigger and better game: buy a cheapo FWD for now, use it until it's shown to be too small, buy the next one (with cash saved up), flip the first car.

I'm not sure how much tools and stuff you plan to schlep around? As much as I like my truck I found it's not a very good utility vehicle. Too high off the ground, too deep to reach in. If it wasn't for 4WD and towing I probably would have traded by now. My vote, if this has to be working vehicle, moving tools and supplies, I'd go right to a Caravan. Yeah it's way uncool. But what are you after, form or function? If you need both, and a van is out, maybe look at an enclosed trailer to move tools and stuff around instead--that might open up possibilities for you--just an oddball thought.

4-5 years of college and an intended tradesman career as an electrician or plumber? student loans, housing, groceries, tools, medical cover, tradesman training and a $20,000+ car? im seeing some crossed wires or misthreaded pipes here. absolutely no disrespect intended but a dream car needing money and attention should be on the bottom of the list.

a decently used, reliable, value priced, simple hatchback could suffice to haul some gear and provide a bit of tossable fun: toyota matrix or yaris, kia soul, scion xb or xd, honda fit.

i am partial to my yaris. i fell in love after daily 3+ years seeing the vios sedan body style faithfully in action as southeast asia’s taxi of choice hauling all manners of passengers and gear, on/near all manners of roads, by all manners of drivers, in all manners of people-, truck-, car-, motorbike- and animal-infested traffic.

Please get the 1994 Buick wagon so everyone can laugh as you drive by with the subwoofers pounding, thinking you are so awesome.

You better have some sick time saved up if you have an older GM vehicle.
Not all older GMs are unreliable. As with nearly automaker, it depends on the year/model and how it's been maintained.

Since everyone seems to think you are wasting your money i will contribute another option.
MK6 Jetta sportwagen 2.5 liter manual trans. 3-5k and reliable. Still fits a lot.

None of the above as you don't know what you'll need until you get out in the real world.
You better have some sick time saved up if you have an older GM vehicle.
Haha, I was just going to say the same thing. Definitely not my choice if cars, but if I had to chose...well, I did own an F body trans am when I was a kid...think it was an 87 or 88. But the thing was garbage.

Back