Out of my top 4, give me two to pick between.

I am looking into getting a new car after I graduate college in December and I have a top-4 list of dream cars and I'd like some advice on narrowing it down to my best choice.

1) 98-02 Firebird or Camaro. My dad had one when I was growing up and I have a lot of memories and nostalgia tied to that car. I've always wanted to get one and one of my friends recently got one (I also helped install a stereo in it today) and being in one again has got me wanting one again.

2) 94-96 Roadmaster Wagon. I originally wanted one of these for my first car. I'm weird, yes, I am 19 and I love wagons. I wanted to get one with the full intention of removing the 3rd row seats and putting 6 15" subs in it, I've seen people do all sorts of cool crap with these wagons and the other day I saw a lowered one on 22's that was painted emerald green, it was CLEAN.

3) 18-20 Regal TourX. It's a Buick (sorta) and it's a wagon. It's not a Roadmaster, but it's new enough that if anything on it screws up it'll be covered by warranty and it'll be the dealer's problem. Plus, they were just discontinued and they'll probably depreciate in a couple years to the point I can probably buy one and pay for it in full off the bat.

4) 08-09 LaCrosse Super. Ultimate factory sleeper in my opinion besides the Regal GS. I've always been fascinated by them.

My reasoning for wanting an old(er) car is because one must for me is to be able to have my subwoofers, and I'd rather have something I can just swap an aftermarket headunit into and not have to screw with a bunch of line out converters and factory integration crap. I can't do with the "HVAC controls are part of the radio" that so many newer cars have. I had to install an amp in my dad's 2020 Tacoma and I about had a stroke.

I also plan to work full time as an electrician or plumber, so I need something I can put tools in and get dirty and not feel too horrible about it. That won't be an issue at all with the cargo space of the wagons, but the F-body or LaX I'll probably be able to make do between the back seats and hatch area.

I like the regal tour x. When you have to go to work every day it's nice to have something reliable and good on gas

If you're an electrician or plumber, I'd imagine you're driving a company van or truck. You aren't going to be able to do it in any of the cars mentioned. Hauling 10' sections of conduit or PVC? Plumbing snake machines? Vacuums?

Of the above, I guess I'd pick #3 primarily, #4 as a backup. Roadmasters are cool and I've always thought of one to play with, but they are really hard to find in good condition. They just seem like such heaps at this point cause they're so old.

You'll probably grow out of the big stereo faze eventually. Ain't nobody got time for messing with stereos, speakers, and no trunk space. Find a car with a premium factory stereo and just accept it. My Genesis has a 14 speaker 950 watt Lexicon stereo, it lacks deep bass but it's good enough. GM Bose sounds good to me.

None of the above as you don't know what you'll need until you get out in the real world.
You better have some sick time saved up if you have an older GM vehicle.

Get the TourX

Since you like wagons (and you should, because they're cool), there's also the CTS wagon. It was made in both V and non-V versions. The CTS-V has the supercharged LSA, while the non-V has some version of the HFV6.

The 4th gen Camaro isn't actually great as a car. The T-tops are the only redeeming quality about them. They have NO space! The trunk doesn't have room for anything except the T-tops. It's twice the size of a Miata on the outside but half the space inside.

Those third seats in the wagons are fun! Mercedes is the only one who stills makes wagons with them, although the Tesla Model S has a third seat, too.

You should also consider the Magnum SRT8 and the related E55 wagon.

For a work truck, get a Transit Connect or a 4-cylinder Sienna. If you need something bigger, get a Metris, Transit, or NV1500

Maybe you might like the Chevy HHR SS Panel van

A lot will change by the time you graduate college.

And a 25 year old American car is not my idea of a daily driver.

Get a Roadmaster. There's no good reason not to if that's what you want and can find a good one. I should have been into square Explorers earlier, might have caught mine before the last owner, but that bridge is crossed. Still turned out to be a **** good truck.

If your job is good, you won't have to worry about working out of your own vehicle at all. Any legit plumbing business is going to supply fully equipped vans with their name all over the side. Get the Roadmaster as your personal hooptie.

TourX, Essense trim with no sunroof, and the driver packages. You know, if you can find it.

you wont have a more comfortable and versatile vehicle.

however if you are going to work out of it, just get the cheapest mini van you can find. Friend of mine was given a Toyota Sienna and he works out of it. Only cost him things like tires and maintenance and it can be fully abused in his granite trade.

Some of you have not spent of a lot of time with an F-body and it shows. I have put a Traeger in the back of mine with the seat down and T-tops are certainly not their only redeeming quality. The LS1 in a 4th gen F-body will probably out last most of the engines of the cars of the people who posted in here.

Having said that. That is exactly not what you want for your task. They were not designed for space or ease of ingress or egress. The suspension is not set up for that. You should take it off your list.

Out of those I would get the Tour X. It is has room for what you want to do.

Last edited:
Can't echo the above LS1 comments enough! 90s era GM always get this bad stigma but I ALWAYS see 15-25 year old GMs rolling around, rotten as can be, still chugging (I am in the Rust Belt).

4th Gen F Body would be prob the most fun on the list, but between the two wagons for what might be most pratical.

I'd get the Firebird or Camaro,in V8 only.

This must have been a trick question, as this is the only acceptable answer.

(😂😂😂)

Seriously though, there are a lot of low mileage, mint ones of these out there cheap. Do it while you can before you have kids, mortgage, etc. I've looked into getting one now that I'm older and reliable clean ones can be had cheaply.

I am looking into getting a new car after I graduate college in December and I have a top-4 list of dream cars and I'd like some advice on narrowing it down to my best choice.

1) 98-02 Firebird or Camaro. My dad had one when I was growing up and I have a lot of memories and nostalgia tied to that car. I've always wanted to get one and one of my friends recently got one (I also helped install a stereo in it today) and being in one again has got me wanting one again.

2) 94-96 Roadmaster Wagon. I originally wanted one of these for my first car. I'm weird, yes, I am 19 and I love wagons. I wanted to get one with the full intention of removing the 3rd row seats and putting 6 15" subs in it, I've seen people do all sorts of cool crap with these wagons and the other day I saw a lowered one on 22's that was painted emerald green, it was CLEAN.

3) 18-20 Regal TourX. It's a Buick (sorta) and it's a wagon. It's not a Roadmaster, but it's new enough that if anything on it screws up it'll be covered by warranty and it'll be the dealer's problem. Plus, they were just discontinued and they'll probably depreciate in a couple years to the point I can probably buy one and pay for it in full off the bat.

4) 08-09 LaCrosse Super. Ultimate factory sleeper in my opinion besides the Regal GS. I've always been fascinated by them.

My reasoning for wanting an old(er) car is because one must for me is to be able to have my subwoofers, and I'd rather have something I can just swap an aftermarket headunit into and not have to screw with a bunch of line out converters and factory integration crap. I can't do with the "HVAC controls are part of the radio" that so many newer cars have. I had to install an amp in my dad's 2020 Tacoma and I about had a stroke.

I also plan to work full time as an electrician or plumber, so I need something I can put tools in and get dirty and not feel too horrible about it. That won't be an issue at all with the cargo space of the wagons, but the F-body or LaX I'll probably be able to make do between the back seats and hatch area.
Something cheap and spacious internally that is also reliable I’d look more modern (Kia Soul, Toyota Matrix etc) you just graduated, student loans will surprise you, and owning a home in your 20’s is better than owning a nice car. Tour X is excellent but that’s a big chunk of
Change especially for something that is going to have tools thrown in it.

Forgot to ask if you’re going to be self employed or not. Depending on the structure of a business leasing has tax advantages, that being said the only time I did IC work as my own entity was as a bio pharma rep between mainline companies, the only messy thing I had in the back of my lease at the time was some $300 per NPI # catered lunch.

This must have been a trick question, as this is the only acceptable answer.

(😂😂😂)

Seriously though, there are a lot of low mileage, mint ones of these out there cheap. Do it while you can before you have kids, mortgage, etc. I've looked into getting one now that I'm older and reliable clean ones can be had cheaply.

Where?? I've only seen a few mint 4th gen F-Bodies in the last 10 years. Mine is really nice....But no where near Mint.

Where?? I've only seen a few mint 4th gen F-Bodies in the last 10 years. Mine is really nice....But no where near Mint.
I feel like people who say “do this before you get a mortgage, kids, etc” some how fail to realize that to get kids, a home, etc you sort of have to forgo doing certain frivolous things like buying a classic American iron and using it as a daily driver.

Back