Out of date blank CDs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some older CD-RWs dated 2002 and I can't record on them. The Teac DV-W58E doesn't seem to recognize them. Or could this be the Teac itself?

I should just get another DVD recorder as they are cheap and it would be an upgrade to SATA, too.

Any thoughts on the CDs?

Thanks.

CD's can degrade over time but not that quickly. My guess is either that they were a bad batch from the factory. I recently purchased DVD-R discs and a few of them would disappear when I inserted them into the dvd drive. You could try to upgrade the firmware on the dvd burner and maybe that would resolve issues. There are a couple of good forums one that I use alot is Videohelp.It explains media and they ma have a better answer to your dillema.

Originally Posted By: Toy4x4
I have some older CD-RWs dated 2002 and I can't record on them. The Teac DV-W58E doesn't seem to recognize them. Or could this be the Teac itself?

I should just get another DVD recorder as they are cheap and it would be an upgrade to SATA, too.

Any thoughts on the CDs?

Thanks.
easier to try another blank CD or DVD

Originally Posted By: 97prizm

CD's can degrade over time but not that quickly.

Last I remember reading (a few years ago) 10 years was the prediction for reliable data storage on a burnt disc before the dye starts to degrade. While they can be usable beyond that time span, the reliability goes down.

I've got a few burnt data CDs from 2001 or 2002 that are no longer readable. They were stored under "normal" conditions (room temp, in a case, put away in a file cabinet).

I had several CDs that were recorded about 6 or 7 years back that failed.

I had a couple of sets and thankfully could retrieve my archives.

I copied the stuff to an external hard drive and burned a new set of disks too.

Now have 3 backups.

If it's the "RW" media, doesn't it need to be formatted first if you're planning to use it as a typical re-write type media? I remember having to do that back in the day...

These are new, unused, still-in-the-wrapper discs. I did try a different blank disc and got the same result.

It wouldn't have anything to do with the slower write speed that is on the disc compared to what the burner can do, could it?

It wouldn't have anything to do with the slower write speed that is on the disc compared to what the burner can do, could it?

No.

What are you trying to burn on them and what application are you using for this purpose?

Have you tried using ImgBurn?

Music in regular form and mp3.

No I tried using one of DVDVideoSoft's programs and, I think, Windows Media Player.

I'll look into ImgBurn...think I actually had that a while back.

These are new, unused, still-in-the-wrapper discs. I did try a different blank disc and got the same result.

Maybe. If you try to burn faster than the disk is rated, I suppose you could end up with failures.

I found yesterday if I get too close to the max capacity, it will fail to burn. I dropped a song and could reliably burn a disc.

Go figure.

Maybe. I have had success with older blank CD's by toning down the write speed to what is printed on the CD.

I find the newer DVD multiformat writer like in my laptop is less tolerant of older blanks. My desktop will write to anything.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
Maybe. I have had success with older blank CD's by toning down the write speed to what is printed on the CD.

I think you guys are missing the point. He wrote that his burner "doesn't seem to recognize them." If it was a speed issue, the burner should still recognize the media, just not be able to burn successfully at higher speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back