Out Of Curiosity: Dollar General Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
PQIA - DG Brand 10w-40

So let me first say - no, I don't intend on running this oil.

But, that being said, this thread is intended as being implied as "hypothetically speaking"...

So, PQIA says it does meet API SF standards, and that the bottle states:

"not intended for engines built after 1988"

If one was to run this oil in a newer vehicle, what could one expect to happen?

For an example, let's say someone ran this oil in a mid 90s Ford Explorer, or an early 00s Explorer...

Would damage actually occur, or would it just be that the OCI would be massively shortened?

~ Triton

Lol. My neighbor ran it in his Honda foreman four-wheeler. He redlined it all the time with that oil in it too. It never blew up or anything.

DG sells Peak oil by Warren.I would think DG brand oil is also Warren.

DG stores tend to be located in lower income areas.
This oil is probably mainly intended for top-offs on the older and more beaterly cars the typical customer will own.
Adding a quart of this oil to a sump full of something more current would do no harm and would be better than running an engine really low on oil.
I don't see any reason to run this oil on its own, although it would probably be fine on the 3K drains many of us used back in the 'eighties.
There are much better oils available on various deals at the same price point, the National currently on sale at Menards being a good example for the same $1.79/qt I've seen DG oil priced at.

Rings are lower tension nowadays, and the ringlands are probably higher on the pistons than years ago. I'd worry about ring coking with an SF oil. Don't know what the noak is, but i would not run it in a DI engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ET16
"SF." Wow.

better than SA which is still on the shelves in some areas.

Different vehicle, but the ford super duty owners manual states that if the required sm or sn oils are not available, then the oci is 1800 miles.

This is in the section talking about overseas and use in the middle east, sub Saharan, and northern Africa (hot climates) where the oci WITH sm or sn oil is reduced to 3,000 miles.

Probably gets used as top off oil a lot by the DG crowd as it is a few pennies cheaper than the very good name brand stuff next to it which is usually on sale anyway.

I buy Pennzoil and Castrol at DG on the cheap, their coupon codes combined with their frequent sales means you can get quarts for less then Wally's jug price. But I wouldn't touch that stuff, I don't know why they even sell it.

I honestly doubt that anything bad would happen unless you ran it in a very modern DI/turbo engine. The examples you give are 90's/00's explorers--the engines in those are not really any different than an engine in the 80's.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Read my sig, I'd use it in my 20 somethings, no sweat. Probably great for flat tappets. No go in the Camry
Yeah probably a good top off for that smoking old Chevy or Ford engine in need of a good rebuild but not a newer car..

An API SF would have been the recommended oil for a 1988 BMW when brand new.

Personally, I dont think they should be allowed selling it. Its taking advantage of people who dont know better, selling oil for an '88 car. 27 years old. Not everyone is educated like us on oil. Most people think oil is oil.

It's not even a good "SF" and that's assuming it meets SF standards. Low TBN, low phosphorus. If people want a legacy lube, the don't want it to find that. Besides, SN limits on 10w-40 are not the same as they are with ILSAC grades anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back