Out, M1 0w-40, In PP 10w-30. Quiet

Status
Not open for further replies.
The OP's story is a little similar to mine, I walked into Wally's for with an OCI for the KIA in mind and was going to buy on price. On a whim walked out with PP 10w30 in the High Mileage version which was on rollback. Yes it does run quiet.

I too have had negative noise issues with M1 in some vehicles, along with consumption. So I got away from it. But then I tried M1 AFE 0w30 in the Lincoln and it is both quiet and had not had any consumption issues either. It is darker at 5k than I am accustomed to but I am not at all concerned.

More reading of experiences of others here yielded the impression that if you want a quiet M1 try AFE.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
If Mobil 1 is known for one thing that is not making engines quiet...
Not bashing M1 it's just something that is well known.

I'm not sure about that. I used m1 0w30 in an 01 escape and it was very quiet. I just changed my mazda cx-5 to mobil 1 0w 30 and its smooth and as quiet as anything else.

I've noticed my engines quieter from viscosity changes more than brand.

Not surprised you are using AFE which seems to be the quietest running flavor of M1.

Originally Posted By: Hammehead
Ford engines don´t cry on watery oils. My old Vulcan V6 3.0L also run smoothly in 0w20. Not even my Hondas and Yotas run that smooth on thin oils.

Ford doesn't get much credit here. As a 30 plus year Honda owner- Honda doesn't make a 4 cyl. as quiet as Ford.
My 2L Ford is super quiet-my last Honda sounded like a bucket of bolts.

Not in my 40 year use with M1 oils of various types in various engines.

Originally Posted By: wrcsixeight
Walked out with PP 10w-30.

Wise choice.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: tig1

How could you compare how quiet your engine is running if you've never ran anything other than Mobil oil?
coffee2.gif

Thanks for sharing your experience. I recently switched from Castrol 0W-40 to Mobil 1 10W-30 high mileage. No noticeable change in sound, but hoping to curb some consumption I've had. Time will tell in another 4k miles.

Last edited:
It is interesting how different engines react with various oils. It has been the experience of quite a few people here that their engines run quieter after switching to Pennzoil from Mobil 1.
My brother had the opposite experience in his Civic. He used Pennzoil for several years, and he had a noisy valvetrain the entire time. I even wonder if he needed the valves checked and adjusted. A couple of years ago, he decided to try something different, so he switched to Mobil 1 in the Civic. The valvetrain became quieter, so much so, that we had the hood up one time and was listening to the engine idle. "Listen to it!" he said, "It is purring!"

Originally Posted By: turnbowm
Originally Posted By: Gokhan
I'm glad that it worked for you. 10W-xx has a lot thicker base oil than the 0W-xx, which could be what's helping with the valvetrain noise. The add pack should be identical to what's in the other PPPP viscosity grades. Did you get the new SN PLUS version? It has an entirely different add pack than the SN version.

Wouldn't the add pack for the 10W30 have less VII compared to the one for the 5W30? I like the idea of a 10W30 with it's lower NOACK but I have no assurance that it has all the good stuff that the Dexos1 Gen2 5W30 provides. Why would SOPUS use a more costly (moly, etc.) add pack for the 10W30 if it's not required?

Yes, there is less viscosity-index improver (VII) in 10W-30. See my table for the A_Harman index earlier in this thread. VII is not considered a part of the detergent - inhibitor (DI) add pack. It's a separate ingredient that controls the viscosity.

The DI add pack is determined by the certification. In this case, it's SN PLUS/GF-6 (the latter soon). If the base oil has low NOACK, it also normally satisfies dexos1 Gen 2. As I said, the add packs should normally be the same for a given oil line, regardless of the viscosity or VII content. Otherwise, it's not the same oil line. Also, testing and development gets more complicated and things like API VGRA (viscosity-grade read across) that simplify testing and development no longer apply.

I have had louder noise with 0w30 AFE than M1 10-30 HM. In face M1 10w30 HM was the quietest oil I ever ran in my old Kia 2.4.

Never tried PP.

I'm using ProDS in my Hyundai 2.4 because I got a bunch of it on sale. Hard to tell how the noise is with this or any oil, because the direct injectors are so loud.

This will run about 10 pages and you be the only one who attempts to explain this … nobody has yet … and it was the exact opposite for me … PP was louder in both a Ford and GM engine … both OHC …
I’m still using both lubes …

Originally Posted By: irv

How could you compare how quiet your engine is running if you've never ran anything other than Mobil oil?
coffee2.gif

I never had an issue with M1. Of course I dumped it in 1986!!!!
If Mobil didn't have rebates most here wouldn't use it. Not a fan!

M1 AFE 0W-30 and PP sound the same in my Tacoma. Engines don't care or know the difference so I don't worry about it.

Cose of the engines, not the oil, IMO.

I took a 3800 mile zigzag sight seeing National park route in the west from San Diego to NM, and then to Florida over 10 days or so, with several sub 30f high altitude early morning starts.
No issues starting at those temps.
Have not yet gone through a full quart of pp 10w-30 make up oil.

Still quiet.

Will likely put another 1k miles on it over the next month, then return to San Diego in the new year.

The oil should be good for this OCI, right?
6 months and ~ 7200 mostly highway miles with perhaps 2 quarts of makeup oil in a 5 quart sump?

Originally Posted by BrocLuno
If it's an 11 year old rebuilt engine, that tells me it was/is old school. Never built for this oils. 10W-30 was/is the right choice
smile.gif

How could it not be "built" for a 0W40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back