Our new 2014 Buick-Regal AWD 2.0 Turbo! (non-GS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys!
I joined this forum a while ago, but I think this my 1st post.
Anyone else from Fargo, ND area here!!?!?

We got in mid-July this year. It was in use as one of the Mgrs. Demo's, & only had 1,000mi., so we inquired...then bought it after driving it! We had looked at & driven a few similar cars, including a Toyota Avalon. The Avalon was nice, but we much preferred the Regal!

It has AWD, & every possible option. Adaptive-Cruise, Sunroof, all the Blind-spot electronics, rear-camera, etc. Original MSRP was ~~ $39K I believe. Interior is ALL Black, heated Leather. Paint is the stud "Carbon-Black Metallic". The wheels (QS6) were a SEPARATE $1,000 option...Uffda!!

So...main questions:
>>>>> Any typical oil-issues with a newer 4-Cyl. Turbo like this?
>>>>> Any Tranny/Haldex-AWD concerns?
* We had the original "factory-fill" oil changed @ ~~ 2,000mi. (4 OC's included)
* Owners-Manual mandates, of course, the 5W-30 GM-Dexos1 SEMI-SYNTH.
* OM also states...DO NOT use 10-30, 10-40, 20-50.
* In Fargo, we can hit -20F!! 0W-30 can be used then, per OM!!
* Oil-capacity WITH AWD=6.0 Qts.
* FUEL: OM strongly recommends "Top-Tier"-level gasolines, @ 91-Octane or higher...so that's what we use! I prefer the Shell V-power NO-ethanol 91-Oct. Some Holiday stations have an Ethanol-blend Top-Tier 91-Oct. "Blue-Planet" higher-detergent gas that we sometimes get. Much closer to home
smile.gif
!!

Link to an article on my engine:
GM 2.0L Turbo I4 LTG Engine...

Thanks for any info. guys!

Faron
PS- Photo's can't be uploaded from computer apparently??

A belated welcome and congrats on the car.

Mobil 1 0w-30 has the Dexos approval, and is good for those cold starts.

Upload your photo to tinypic.com, and just paste the link that's provided for forums.

Oh man!
Thanks guys!

Does photo-bucket work?
This is one of the few forums I've used that you can't upload pics from your computer!?
To ME...it's easier.

Faron

I like forums where you can upload and the forum archives it. Here you can't. So you use the img code from photobucket or similar.

Welcome! Love that car! I have an 04 saab 9-3 with a non di 2.0 turbocharged engine. I prefer MT, and not as many options, but a turbo 4cyl in a car of that size can return great economy and still be a great drive. Yours has a newer engine and must be a blast.

Good luck with it, post a pic!

I always look at the forecast for Fargo to get an idea of what the weather is going to be four hundred miles south. Fargo is one cold place in the winter. We are considering a Buick for our next vehicle after driving Hondas and Toyotas for four decades. Buick quality seems to be improving. Congratulation on your new vehicle. You sound like a person who takes care of their vehicles. I don't think you can go wrong with Mobil I 0w-30. I have used it in my Camry since it became available a few years ago. Readily available at Walmart. Stay warm this winter..Regards

That black metallic paint looks sharp! Keeping it clean is a chore, though!

Based on experiences with recent GM turbo 4's, I'd recommend an off-the-shelf full syn oil in 0w-30 or 5w-30, and be conservative on the oil change intervals for the first 10-15k miles. After the engine stops breaking in, get a UOA done to check how long the oil can be run. GM's turbo engines are great powerplants, but quite hard on the oil.

I'm not sure how it would play with the AWD, but if the 260 hp isn't enough, taking engine output to 300-310 hp is a $400 reflash away. GM is very, very conservative with the factory calibration on their turbo cars.

I lived in Bismarck a few years. I sure remember the winters. I'd go with a 0w-30 synthetic. Nice car, congrats!

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Mobil 1 0w-30 has the Dexos approval, and is good for those cold starts.

^^^
01.gif
thumbsup2.gif

They use a Haldex center diff/system in those?!?
cool.gif

Congrats on the nice ride!

Originally Posted By: sciphi
I'm not sure how it would play with the AWD, but if the 260 hp isn't enough, taking engine output to 300-310 hp is a $400 reflash away. GM is very, very conservative with the factory calibration on their turbo cars.

HA! YES, if it were available in a manual, I would gut the thing and turn it into an (STI/Evo killing) rally car!
smile.gif
19.gif

Yes, I've become kinda a*al about fuels, oils, paint-care, etc. in recent years...lol!
hooked.gif
hooked.gif

I do run some Seafoam into our cars gas-tanks ~1/month. Usually ~~ 1/3 bottle when tank is half-full. I always mix a little into the small-engines mix-gas!! My snowblower is 17y/o now. I've only needed ONE carb-kit in all that time!!

Together with the steady diet of the high-detergent Top-Tier gasolines, the Seafoam use will minimize the dreaded "valve-coking" that many DI engines are prone to!! I know the Throttle-Body throat on my 2008 Impala LTZ is SPOTLESS (48,000 miles now). It was an oil-burner....but that's a whole 'nother story!!!

Well...here's a try @ some Regal pix....
20.gif

[img:left]http://[/img]

Better sneak in one of MY Baby....taken in West-Yellowstone July 2013:

Faron

Faron,

The chrome wheels are spectacular. My '11 Regal non-turbo has the silver-painted wheels, and they're fine, but ever since the chrome wheels on my previous Buick, I've wanted chrome again. Shame they're so pricey.

I bought mine CPO, with extra warranty, and four oil changes/tire rotations (from any GM dealer) included. The only thing that's gone wrong has been the seat heater module, and that was replaced under warranty. It's not something I'd use down here in Da Swamp, but you'll like it up there in ND.

Here's a forum: http://buickforums.com/forums/forums/99-2011-Buick-Regal-Regal-GS-Forum It's quite active, and deals with the fun of owning the cars and of tuning them for max performance.

Any Tranny/Haldex-AWD concerns?

Who knows this system is likely lifted from Saab so I'd peek there and see. However I believe Saab used a more trick system.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
A
Who knows this system is likely lifted from Saab so I'd peek there and see. However I believe Saab used a more trick system.

Regal, Lacrosse, and XTS are now available with the same Haldex "XWD" system that was introduced with Saab.

Thanks for the compliments guys!

Somewhat funny coincidences here...
* I've watched a lot of those "TFL-Car" videos this year, including anything Regal/LaCrosse related!
* I joined that Buick Forum last July! Had been reading it most of last summer.
* Funny you mention a Grand-Prix LS1Mike! We traded in the Wife's 2006 White GT!
19.gif

Faron

For the heck of it, here's the '06 GP GT, with the Supercharged 3.8L obviously...& the optional bigger wheels. Loaded Black-Leather interior. 92,000mi when we traded for the Regal mid-July. Over the years we had it, I MAYBE added a QT....TOTAL...of Oil!!!

(that's the complete opposite of MY 2008 Impala!! 3.9L AFM V-6)

I'm one of those guys who could CARE LESS about gas-mileage. Adding OIL though REALLY bugs me!!
16.gif

We love the new Regal, but DW misses her GP!!
Here she is/was...
cry.gif

Tried to keep the paint clay-barred, polished, & waxed as well!
I noticed in the background of the 2nd pic, is the Regal we got...I think. There was 2 identical Black-Metallic Regals; one new one WITHOUT AWD & only the Prem. I pkg., & the LOADED AWD Demo we bought.

Faron

Well this thread got my gear-head going.

Since the demise of Pontiac and Olds, Buick is the last wedge between Chev and Caddy.

I'm at the age that I would pay the extra for the appointments, but I'm not all
that fond of the Cadillac look.

Maybe it has something to do with my parents 51 Road Master with the straight 8
still in my memory bank.

Or my great uncle's 69 Skylark.

When I think of a Cadillac, I smell cigars.

What would be the possibility of stripping one of those all wheel drive
Buicks down and making a rally car out of it?

Doable, or just too many late nights on the railway with too many Monster Energy
Drinks with no where to go?

Ice Ice baby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back