Our Driveways of Yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ran across a pic of my dad's driveway in the 80s. Sure my driveway has cars that get better fuel economy, and require less maintenance to get to 200k miles....but I still find myself wishing my driveway looked more like his did in 1985.

These were the "Cheap outside cars". Inside the garage at the other end were two C1 vettes, a 1932 Deuce 3 window coupe, and briefly a Boss 302 69 Mustang.

The Vega had a 1970 LT1 bored to 360 and a T10 Super 4 speed in it and I think the Camaro had a 454 bored to 468 with a TH400.

I showed my dad the pic and he said "If I knew people would pay insane money for 90% of the cars I owned, I never would have sold them". He had some real rare sets of wheels in his years running a performance shop and racing the AHRA circuit.
IMG_20150812_0005_NEW_zpso91bdktt.jpg

Wish my driveway looked that good lol. Just have a 1970 VW Beetle out front. Although it is better looking than most of my neighbor's driveways.

When I was in foster car as a first grader I was punished for getting into the kitchen and eating between meals, by getting my bottom blistered. I retaliation I painted the car in the driveway with quick drying varnish. They took the then new Studebaker to the nearby Richfield gas station, washed it down with gasoline and scrubbed off the varnish before it dried. So it was on to the next family.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
When I was in foster care

maybe it's the movies or the tv shows that I watch, it kills me inside to read that, not having your real parent's love growing up, that would have been too hard on me.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Ran across a pic of my dad's driveway in the 80s. Sure my driveway has cars that get better fuel economy, and require less maintenance to get to 200k miles....but I still find myself wishing my driveway looked more like his did in 1985.

What's stopping you? Go buy some classics!

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Originally Posted By: Robenstein

What's stopping you? Go buy some classics!

House payments and student loans...getting graduate degrees isn't cheap. The "Barret Jacksonification" of the classic market is not helping either.

Last edited:
Cool cars, wish there were more pictures!

That Camarillo must have handled like a lead weight...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Cool cars, wish there were more pictures!

That Camarillo must have handled like a lead weight...

I actually found a few more...sadly heavily damaged. As for the Vega, I know it had some suspension mods to it. But the old man was a drag racer, so he was always concerned more with getting a car to hook than carving through the corners.

Here are some from his AHRA circuit days in the mid 60's to early 70's. The Camaro was his, and the others were cars he built and his friends and brother drove. I have one of his hood scoops off one of his other first gen Camaro drag cars hanging as wall art in my garage. I know at one time he held an AHRA MPH record in G stock class circa 64.

dadracingcars_zpsxrxurrmn.jpg

dadracing_zpss2oolpia.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back