Ouch my eye! (Not for the squeamish)

A wonderful miracle your vision was saved.

I've taken to wearing protective glasses more often when doing almost anything where eye injury is possible. Scary stuff.
I fully endorse the use of protective gear when feasible. I was wearing other protective gear.

9 days post-op the graft looks pretty good to me. My own and the donor tissue appear to have integrated well. Vascularity is now much reduced which I was told to expect. Going for a check-up on Wednesday. If I don't look towards my nose and down the damage is barely visible. I have been doing everything possible to encourage and accelerate healing. I must have done something right. Compare the picture below to picture number 3 shown in my original post.

I went back for a follow-up earlier today. My surgeon was surprised how well the graft has taken and how much improved the eyeball looked. As of today I'm off abx and steroid drops. There are a couple spots on my sclera where I no longer have conjunctiva but only epithelium. Not a problem, apparently, unless I get an eye infection. Then I might scleritis. My eyelid is still swollen from being forcefully kept open during the surgery but that should clear up shortly. I'm cleared for getting water in my eyes but have to wait another 10 days before lifting anything over 10 lbs. Going back to work on the 25th.

Just a little bit more pink off to the side than normally.

Last edited:
My eye is good as new as far as I can tell. My surgeon said half a millimeter deeper and I would have had a global rupture (collapsed eyeball) with questionable outcome. I attribute the quick healing process to the use of bromelain. The steroid eye drops they gave me served two purposes. They reduced inflammation and they slowed healing, which meant less scarring.

I'm glad I won't have to wear an eye patch for the rest of my life. Although, there's an undeniable cool factor to being a pirate. Pirates wore eye patches to preserve night vision in one eye before looking for treasure and sparely-clad damsels in dark cargo holds. Saber fighting with one eye was probably not a good idea. 🦜🏴‍☠️

My eye is good as new as far as I can tell. My surgeon said half a millimeter deeper and I would have had a global rupture (collapsed eyeball) with questionable outcome. I attribute the quick healing process to the use of bromelain. The steroid eye drops they gave me served two purposes. They reduced inflammation and they slowed healing, which meant less scarring.

I'm glad I won't have to wear an eye patch for the rest of my life. Although, there's an undeniable cool factor to being a pirate. Pirates wore eye patches to preserve night vision in one eye before looking for treasure and sparely-clad damsels in dark cargo holds. Saber fighting with one eye was probably not a good idea. 🦜🏴‍☠️
Glad for you!

Back