Other than Honda Fluid for 2001 Acura TL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

I'm 99% sure that you don't have to use Z1 to uphold the warranty, Magnuson-Moss act? Perhaps someone more legally inclined could speak in on that. Personally I feel like Amsoil's ATF performs better than Honda Z1 in my Acura. Unlike my engine, I can feel a difference between brands in my transmission.

Besides, extended warranties aren't governed by the Magnusson-Moss Act. Now whether or not the factory warranty extension is considered an extended warranty, I don't know.

I just think it would be silly to void a warranty over that, especially if other fluids meet the Z1 specification. For example, in my owner's manual I'm pretty sure it says that you /have/ to use Honda Coolant, but I highly doubt most people do. It says the same thing about the Power Steering Fluid (which I can understand, since it doesn't specify using ATF like many other PS units, so I just use the Honda stuff anyways)

Quote:

I just think it would be silly to void a warranty over that, especially if other fluids meet the Z1 specification. For example, in my owner's manual I'm pretty sure it says that you /have/ to use Honda Coolant, but I highly doubt most people do. It says the same thing about the Power Steering Fluid (which I can understand, since it doesn't specify using ATF like many other PS units, so I just use the Honda stuff anyways)

You're wrong.

NO fluid other than Honda Z1 meets and is approved for the Z1 specification.

All other brands are simply recommended for the Z1 specification.

Honda has not released the details of the Z1 specification to anyone.

Quaker State used to make real Z-1 ATF a few years ago, but I never see that any more.

Maybe you can get it from a parts store that moves stock slowly.

That in mind, I don't know what is special in Quaker State Z-1. All I know is that I used it in a 1995 Accord and a 1999 CRV, and the stuff shifted gears just the same.

Since I've asked the same question in the past for my '03 Odyssey, what I've found is that Amsoil Universal ATF seems to work well for people. Royal Purple has changed their MaxGear ATF from Dex-III to "Multi-vehicle" and now lists Z1 as an application for it, although I have no experience with that.

Other than that, you could use a Dex-III fluid and add the Lubegard friction-modifier stuff to make it more like Z1.

I now have 232,000 on my '93 Civic, 112,000 of those miles on Amsoil ATF. I highly recommend this fluid in your transmission, you'll really like how it shifts.

I can't find on RP's website where they state that the new Max ATF is recommended for Z1 service. Their FAQ still says Ford Mercon (not even Mercon V)/GM Dexron III (note not Dexron VI).

Originally Posted By: benjamming
I can't find on RP's website where they state that the new Max ATF is recommended for Z1 service. Their FAQ still says Ford Mercon (not even Mercon V)/GM Dexron III (note not Dexron VI).
Here you go Honda ATF-Z1 (except in CVT's) Max ATF.
Please note: We began shipping our improved Max ATF September 7, 2007. Be sure the label on the bottle reads “Max ATF Multi-Spec High Performance Formula” to ensure you are getting the product that meets the specifications on this website.

Last edited:
Looks like RP entered the universal multivehicle ATF market. Good for them. The more the merrier!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back