OTC rust inhibitor oils for storing machined parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some transmission gears / shafting I will be storing in my garage for a few years. Are there any good waxy "cosmoline" type oils that will coat these parts and prevent rusting?

What???? Oklahoma ideas aren't GOOD enough for you Yankees????
grin.gif

Safecoat comes to mind. We use it on freshly manufactured bearings for shipment. I don't know haw available it is for the general public.

Or just put on a nice thick coat of a good quality grease sodium would be best and put parts into a plastic bag and squeeze out all the air.
bruce

Be warned on some of the Remington gun oils, some of them have teflon in them, like if that would matter to you. Depends on your application.

I've never used it, but I would give the AMSOIL stuff a try. Their products seem to deliver, and the price is very resonable.

Also look into T-9 Boeshield. It was developed for aircraft (Boe as Boeing) and has a very good reputation.

For a true oil and not a wax type...Corrosion X.

Whatever you do, don't use M1 motor oil. Based on the current rumors about M1 & engine noise, the racket emitted from those stored parts would be deafening!!!
grin.gif

LPS 3 - oily/waxy.
Boesheild T-9 - lighty oily / lightly waxy
both were developed for aircraft and can be found at industrial supply shops. I use T-9 exclusively on woodworking equipment at work because once dry it is no longer oily.

Birchwood casey - waxy
can be found at wal-mart and gun shops.

if you want cosmolene type greasy/waxy then buy some maxima chain wax from you local motorcycle dealer. it is just like cosmolene.

all work well.

You want rust-preventng oils... not inhibitors that only discourage rust.

Lately, I've been using guns oils for everything. Rem-Oil, Breakfree CLP, Shooters Choice, Butch's, Birchwood-Casey.... take your pick.

Working in the plastics industry, I have become aware of the Slide brand of products. They make a variety of rust preventive sprays for storage of molds. I got a few cans of their "No-Rust" from a local dealer and sprayed it inside my door panels and fenders as rustproofing. It is a brown waxy coating with acid neutralizers and rust inhibiters. Their products are reasonably priced, and there are quite a number of dealers. Qualified industrial users can request a free sample box from their web site. They also make cleaners, greases, etc. geared toward molding, but usable elsewhere. Their "Super Grease" is some amazing stuff too.

Slide Rust Products

quote:

Originally posted by Cogito:
What about WD-40?

WD-40 is ok unless you are storing your tools for years. Personally I can't stand the smell of WD-40 so I don't use it in places where I can smell it.. like on my tools.. I use CRC5-56

quote:

Originally posted by Cogito:
What would you recommend for keeping steel tools from getting rusty. I read these reviews of Boeshield and it seems to work but many people are complaining it is very sticky and can leave stains.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000223U8/103-1864279-4332644?v=glance&n=228013

What about WD-40?

I use boesheild often and it doesn't get sticky or stain(?). in fact it can be used on metal that comes in direct contact with wood in woodworking equipment, i.e. the cast iron table on a table saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back