OTC oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so i did some lerking around here before i signed up and have read some pretty decent reviews on valvoline syntech and others and have heard RP isn't so great or at least as great as they make it sound. Ever since i got my car i been using different oils and i liked valvoline syntec the best.
I used some quaker state and then switched to valvoline syntec. I noticed the valvoline gave me better throttle response and the engine felt rev happy. After using that for some time i today switched to RP to try it out cause i heard a lot about it. It made the car feel smoother and feels like heavier oil (throttle response didn't improve). I didnt feel that new feeling of an oil change that i got when i went to valvoline syntec.
I am looking for an OTC oil that i can use for mild racing and street use and doesnt cost like this RP bullisht. Can valvoline syntec be it for me? Thats the only oil i really felt a difference with when i switched to it. Pennzoil platinum?

Pennzoil Platinum is very good syn oil and Walmart has $15 gift card rebate for 5 quart jug going on right now, try it to see if you like it. I had PP in one of my car and I really like it.

Sounds like the Valvoline is working well. I'd just use that. Why complicate things?

yea but im not too sure on how long i can use it. When i drained my oil today it was really dark but didnt really smell that bad. I didnt know thats how i know an oil works for the car either so i guess ill stick with what i feel a difference with?

What kind of car are you running?

Valvoline makes a racing oil VR1 synthetic I believe that is a bit more robust that its synpower offering, seeing that you say there is some mild racing.

Just because the oil looks dirty or black does not mean it has lost its effectiveness. There are many variables involved when your oil changes color. I wouldn't sweat it if your oil looks black after 1k or 2k.

Your creative spelling error has escaped the censor on here (and doesnt cost like this RP bull$%&*.). Please try to refrain from the use of profanity here, most of the time it gets auto censored.

I dont drive anything special its just pretty modded and i'm doing more things to it as i go along. Well it wasn't after 2k miles, prob after 6k. I drive a mazda 3. Everyone is telling me its impossible to feel a butt dyno just by changing the oil but i swear i felt a difference when i changed to the valvoline synpower. Maybe there 5w-30 is thinner?....
The forum seems pretty strict on language. I wasnt aware of that. I'll keep that in mind. No prob.

I totally forgot last night...

welcome2.gif

There is a dino and synthetic offering in the Valvoline VR-1.
My butt dino has felt a few things with my 2.3L also, it likes PP 0W-20 and GTX 5W-20. It does not overly like castrol syntec or quaker state as much.

Seeing that you prefer Valvoline synpower and you do some mild racing, a more robust oil with a better add pack may be the thing for you. The VR-1 is looks to be a good selection for your needs and preferences. From what I have read here, the guys who use VR-1 love it and swear by it.

I have an 07 Mazda 3 2.3L I've used the Valvoline Synpower as well. I like it also. I just used up my last quart of it at my last oil change. I did 1 quart of Valvoline Syn with 3 quarts of Formula Shell. Gonna run it for 5k and dump. These Mazda motors are very easy on oil, so I'd say run any OTC oil in it. I use 5w30 in mine as well.

You are not thinking with your dipstick! Buy 1 bottle each of Syntec, Synpower, M1EP, and Warren Supertech Synthetic. Blend and use that.

nice, well i want to find out now how good walmart is about there rebates cause i am ready to buy about 4-6 jugs of PP oil cause of the rebate cards. Its 1$ a quart after rebate!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back