Organo Moly Compounds (multiple "types" with SDS)

wemay

Site Donor 2023
While reviewing SDS for Mobil1 AFE 0W-20, i saw that 1-Decene was no longer on the page. What i did see that interested me was Organo Moly Sulfer Compound. While looking that up, i found below information that some may find interesting...

Link to SDS for M1 AFE?

https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/for-personal-vehicles/our-products/products/mobil-1-0w-20/

1642012841838.png

While reviewing SDS for Mobil1 AFE 0W-20, i saw that 1-Decene was no longer on the page. What i did see that interested me was Organo Moly Sulfer Compound. While looking that up, i found below information that some may find interesting...

Interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing.

That SDS doesn't really tell us much. MoDTC, the common moly additive in most API oils, (ie: Molyvan 3000) is also an organic molybdenum-sulfur compound that's ~10.1% molybdenum and ~10.5% sulfur in raw form. They could just be putting it out there though I'm not sure why. I doubt it's MoDDP as you'd see a rise in phosphorus content in VOA which would conflict with API restrictions. I also have a hard time believing it's a moly amide/ester (ie: Molyvan 855) based on cost alone. Also because moly esters don't contain sulfur.

That's interesting for sure.

Last edited:
Back