Organic soluble Tungsten/Wolfram or Molybdenum safe as a CVT additive?

Looking at these friction modifiers. What I read so far is that the solid dry lubricant forms are a big no no in a CVT since it needs some friction and metal to metal contact. It'd be impossible to remove an insoluble lubricant, it'd stick everywhere and would not be 'suspended' within the CVT oil. Now for the organic forms. Would an additive like Vanderbilt Vanlube W-324 with "amines, bis (C11-14-branched and linear alkyl), tungstates" CAS-No.: 1159919-46-6 do any harm in a CVT? This organic form is always suspended within the oil and doesn't stick to metal surfaces permanently or for a prolonged time. Eurol Engine Oil Treat 250mL contains this organic Tungstem/Wolfram, so would it do any harm when added to a 13L capacity CVT? My goal here is to reduce wear and tear on the belt and pulley.

Ingredients in Eurol Engine Oil Treat from Safety Data Sheet:
-Distillates (petroleum), hydrotreated heavy paraffinic; Baseoil
-reaction mass of isomers of: mono-(2-tetradecyl)naphthalenes; di-(2-tetradecyl)naphthalenes; tri-(2-tetradecyl)naphthalenes
-Highly refined mineral oil (C15 -C50)
-amines, bis (C11-14-branched and linear alkyl), tungstates
-2,6-Di-tert-butyl-p-cresol
-Diphenylamine

Last edited:
Looking at these friction modifiers. What I read so far is that the solid dry lubricant forms are a big no no in a CVT since it needs some friction and metal to metal contact. It'd be impossible to remove an insoluble lubricant, it'd stick everywhere and would not be 'suspended' within the CVT oil. Now for the organic forms. Would an additive like Vanderbilt Vanlube W-324 with "amines, bis (C11-14-branched and linear alkyl), tungstates" CAS-No.: 1159919-46-6 do any harm in a CVT? This organic form is always suspended within the oil and doesn't stick to metal surfaces permanently or for a prolonged time. Eurol Engine Oil Treat 250mL contains this organic Tungstem/Wolfram, so would it do any harm when added to a 13L capacity CVT? My goal here is to reduce wear and tear on the belt and pulley.
OTC/Third Party Additives are not suitable NOR should they be added to a CVT fluid.

The operative theory being that if you reduce friction to zero, you would reduce "wear and tear" to zero?

I'm certain that is true.

Zero wear.

Also.

Zero torque transmitted to wheels.

I can't recommend what you're planning.

For my 2016 CR-V with a CVT my stratigy for getting a long life is to use only the fluid the manufacturer recommends, and to change it often.

To reduce the cost of doing that, I do it myself and buy the fluid from a lower cost online store. I use OEMPartSource.com but I do not know what brand of vehicle the OP has and if it is one of the brands OEMPartSource carries fluids and parts for.

Ingredients in Eurol Engine Oil Treat from Safety Data Sheet:
-Distillates (petroleum), hydrotreated heavy paraffinic; Baseoil
-reaction mass of isomers of: mono-(2-tetradecyl)naphthalenes; di-(2-tetradecyl)naphthalenes; tri-(2-tetradecyl)naphthalenes
-Highly refined mineral oil (C15 -C50)
-amines, bis (C11-14-branched and linear alkyl), tungstates
-2,6-Di-tert-butyl-p-cresol
-Diphenylamine

Here is the technical explanation as to why you should NOT add any friction modifiers to a CVT fluid:

Many people see the phrase, "Friction Modification" or friction modifier and think friction reduction only. That is not correct.

Friction Modification can refer to three things, depending on the type of friction modifier compound and the application:

1) friction increaser to create a proper traction coefficient in CVT fluids to avoid chain/belt slippage,

2) friction reducer as in engine oils to increase fuel mileage,

3) dynamic friction modifier as in a rotating or sliding mechanical assembly to accommodate different relative rotating or sliding speeds. Whether it is a synchronizer assembly in a Manual Transmission, a wet clutch (Step-Shift) AT transmission clutch pack, or a spring-loaded LSD clutch, the same operation applies.

In CVT's you want a "Traction Type" friction modifier to increase traction or "grip." Therefore, adding a friction modifier, as in the OP's friction "reducers" above, would create just the opposite effect of what is needed and will cause premature chain/belt wear.

Last edited:
Organic tungsten does decrease wear, but never it will be zero.
If that's the goal,then do not start the car. :) just keep it as relic in your garage.

Back