O'Reilly carrying Havoline Pro DS 5W-30 Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stopped in my local O'Reilly's store for a couple things. While there I perused the oil aisle. They had the Havoline Pro DS 5W-30 there. Funny thing was, it wasn't on the rack with the other oils, there was a stack of the 5W-30 boxes in the middle of the floor between the oil racks and the additives shelf. They set a couple of the bottles on top of the stack of boxes.

They also had the new Delo 15W-30 right next to it as well.

Originally Posted By: njohnson
Stopped in my local O'Reilly's store for a couple things. While there I perused the oil aisle. They had the Havoline Pro DS 5W-30 there. Funny thing was, it wasn't on the rack with the other oils, there was a stack of the 5W-30 boxes in the middle of the floor between the oil racks and the additives shelf. They set a couple of the bottles on top of the stack of boxes.

They also had the new Delo 15W-30 right next to it as well.

I have seen that a few times at my local store. My O'Reillys has Castrol in that space now with Havoline on the shelf. My guess the Manager/Stock-boy are just lazy. Or Havoline is not paying for shelf space... or that the "temporary island" is a attention grabber or something.

Ive never seen that 15w30 yet. Sounds interesting.

Whats the difference between the Pro DS and their plain Jane synthetic? Oreilly or AAP had a special last summer for some IIRC.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Ive never seen that 15w30 yet. Sounds interesting.

Whats the difference between the Pro DS and their plain Jane synthetic? Oreilly or AAP had a special last summer for some IIRC.

They reformulated supposedly. The spec-sheets are different and the new DS has a few more certifications. I think the older "Syn" is discontinued. I think Noack is lower for a few weights as well.

don't know

here is their explanation

Delo 400 SD SAE 15W-30 is a premium and innovative diesel engine oil intended for engines that have duty cycles which qualify as “severe duty.” These include reducing idling time by turning the engine off at stops or deliveries, stop-and-go in heavy traffic or city delivery, or situations where engine cooling may be stressed like when towing heavy loads or when cycling between fully-loaded and unloaded in off-road applications.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
What's the purpose of a 15W-30? They already have a 10W-30...what problem does a 15W-30 solve that a 10W-30 cannot?

Theory goes that it doesn't have any VII to be more shear stable.

That's easy. It is for those that think a 10W is too thin and will ruin your engine.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
What's the purpose of a 15W-30? They already have a 10W-30...what problem does a 15W-30 solve that a 10W-30 cannot?

CAFE again.....

More efficient diesels are coming.

They will be on the thin oil diet just like our cars are now.

I expect manufacturers to back spec current trucks to use the thin stuff because Uncle Sam said so.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
CAFE again.....

I expect manufacturers to back spec current trucks to use the thin stuff because Uncle Sam said so.

Would make sense since medium-duty vehicles will have targets... no like the US has the lowest standards for fuel economy...

Then again, if it protects well enough, why not go as thing as possible. Then again, using the older stuff is a bit thick.

Thinking about it, it would not be a bad thing for my diesel fleet (buses).

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
CAFE again.....

Hope that means they'll clearance out all the old stuff for $1/gallon like the old days-I'm down to my last couple of Delo 400 SAE 30 gallons!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back