O'Reilly Auto Parts Helps Save Stone's River Battlefield

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been a member of the Civil War Trust and its predecessor organizations since 1987. The Trust is dedicated to the purchase and preservation of land on which Civil war battles were fought. To date, it has saved thousands of acres.

The Stone's River battlefield in Tennessee had a large portion of land in the middle which was owned by GE. When approached about their willingness to donate or sell the land, GE basically told the Trust to "take a hike". Later they sold the land to O'Reilly Auto Parts. When O'Reilly was approached, they were very interested in working to preserve the land and agreed to sell the land for less than they paid for it! With about 50,000 active members and donors in the Trust, it appears that this land will be preserved.

So a special thanks to O'Reilly for doing this. Corporations like O'Reilly can make a big difference if they choose. Please consider their generosity and willingness to preserve historic property the next time you are looking to purchase auto supplies.

I guess I need to pay more attention to local news. I live very close to the battlefield. Very good of them for doing that.
Middle TN has been booming for a long time, and land / commercial property is very expensive.

Unfortunately some don't care about the history of the land.

I'm surprised GE was originally able to buy that land in the first place. Which city / county officials allowed that to happen ?
Maybe GE paid off the officials back then to allow the purchase of this land ???
Lots of structures around the perimeter of this battle field.

http://rutherfordtnhistory.org/upda...ends-of-stones-river-battlefield-say-no/

That article was for a meeting in March 12. Just got the mailing yesterday from the Civil War Trust with the fund raising notice and the info that O'Reillys is selling the land to the Trust.

That article was for a meeting in March 12. Just got the mailing yesterday from the Civil War Trust with the fund raising notice and the info that O'Reillys is selling the land to the Trust.

Originally Posted by Boomer

Ok, that's great news! I'll buy some ATF+4 and Lucas gun oil from them tomorrow for their generosity!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back